Discuss here about Yoeddynz's little Imp project...

yoeddynz

Yet more nice work!

Like the idea of using the aircraft titanium for something. I went to the Silverstone Grand Prix back in 2012 or something and there was a prang on the corner where someone's front spoiler got obliterated. After the race I picked up a bit of the carbon fibre and used it to bond over a little rust hole I'd cut out of my Spitfire, so now I can say it's 0.01% F1 car :grin:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I see you're prepping for engine assembly. As one who's seen the inside of a lot of Honda bike engines, I'd advise having a good look at the oil holes on the crank. Honda have a history of not finishing the holes properly and leaving sharp edges where they break out onto the crank surface. Often they do big mileages before any trouble - but put the engine under stress and a bearing will pick up. I use a small ball grinding stone in a die grinder to chamfer any sharp edges. The tiny amount of material removed won't upset the balancing job.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Greg- I was certainly going to clean out the oilways on the crank so I'll now pay particular attention to any such issues you describe!

I have yet to go down the forum rabbit holes on what oil these engines favour - especially as this wont have any transmission gears underslung to worry about.

Freshly rebuilt plain bearing bike engines i use 20/50 straight mineral as the initial break in lube. After the first change use what you prefer. Don't try and reseat the rings on synthetic, it simply won't happen Ring tensions are very low on Honda bike multis in my experience.

• Like 1

Yeah the first lot of oil that goes through this engine will get dumped pretty quick, pretty much used as clean up purge :-D and then I'll decide on what goes in next. Opinions on oil via forums :lol: I think even oldschool has an old oil thread somewhere. The grandmaster thread is possibly the one on some ferrari forum I once found. 

27 minutes ago, yoeddynz said:

Yeah the first lot of oil that goes through this engine will get dumped pretty quick, pretty much used as clean up purge :-D and then I'll decide on what goes in next. Opinions on oil via forums :lol: I think even oldschool has an old oil thread somewhere. The grandmaster thread is possibly the one on some ferrari forum I once found. 

Used K11 juice should be perfect.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

@ajg193 here...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002003435982.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.17.20981802wfWolE

Its a two wire type (so always closed by a spring unless activated) which is like the type I used to good success in my Viva (a mazda type)

I was thinking of getting a 3 wire but for what I need to do, the two wire type are so simple and reliable.

Plug is a bosch (?) type one...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32338282265.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.11.20981802wfWolE

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Roman said:

Will a sight level thing end up getting stained, then hard to see through?

If you are good with oil changes and don't cook the oil regularly, then they last for 30+ years

When they do stain you can use a little brake cleaner and a small bottle brush 

Source:shitheap bikes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah what he ^ said. I'm going to be running synthetic oil which seems to stay clearer too. 

I am tempted to drill out the cap and fit some tiny momentarily on switched led to light up the tube. But I need to find something suitable to use, like off a keyfob etc. 

Keen on links to something suitable. Has to be tiny. 

• Like 1