Kimjon

Kimjon's Harley bobber project

I will check tonight where it broke,  the 1st time it broke I replaced it but the 2nd time it was tig welded, my bike had the horn and ignition switch mounted to it, I lost the horn 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, SOHC said:

I will check tonight where it broke,  the 1st time it broke I replaced it but the 2nd time it was tig welded, my bike had the horn and ignition switch mounted to it, I lost the horn 

I suspect it brakes in the sharp bend. I was toying with the idea of backing it up with a fillet weld, so this is convenient timing talking about possible cracking issues...so I will do that now as cheap insurance.

Soooo...

Resized_20200119_162414.jpeg.5558945e93113b29a95b8464d579571e.jpeg

Turned the tig up to "eleventy" and gave it some jandal!!! I ran it over all the mig welds and melted them into the parent metal hard core. Then used a heap of filler to create a 45° web in the highest stress points.

Resized_20200119_170221.jpeg.9f6bf973ad5edbee2aa8c12d5c507955.jpeg

I'll smooth the corner fillet weld a touch more with some sandpaper or flap disc (wont need much) and call it done, then send it out for chrome.

Actually really happy with it now.

• Like 3