Recalibrating old stock rev counter

OldNathan

I have re calibrated speedometers by moving the needle on the shaft to take some of the tension off the spring, I did one the other day that was out by 20 MPH as it was fitted to a different gearbox,  if you don't want to pay any money it should work for a rev counter

Does the tacho work at all currently? If you've changed from a distibutor based output to coilpacks (?) you might need to add some resistors to the tacho circuit to get it to read from 5V square wave from ECU (or whatever) 

Cant remember exact details

10/10 useful post

Will ask my old man about it

I'd recommend running it off the ecu if your able.  I do this for alot of setups using Link ecu's.  You can change the primary resistor in the tacho so it works or fit a step up relay although I don't really like that method

If you got a Link, then Roman and Stu are onto it. I did the same thing in my AE86 so that the stock rev counter works with the Link ECU. I just sent it down to NZEFI and let them deal with it, think it was only 30-40 dollars. Then you can calibrate it on the link (it will do a needle sweep with key on), more accurate than it could ever be from the factory.

On 02/02/2017 at 10:50, Roman said:

Does the tacho work at all currently? If you've changed from a distibutor based output to coilpacks (?) you might need to add some resistors to the tacho circuit to get it to read from 5V square wave from ECU (or whatever) 

Cant remember exact details

10/10 useful post

Will ask my old man about it

Tacho worked on the M series. Its got factory wasted spark coils. Sorry for late replys etc 

• 2 weeks later...