Zinc plating of automotive components

flyingbrick

I'm sending some parts off for gold zinc plating and it occurred to me that I could tidy up a whole lot of my stuff by sending it off at the same time.

There are a few reasons- it's cost effective, easy (I'm not doing it), durable and it also looks pretty damn sweet/professional.

So what shouldn't someone send off for plating? Are there any issues with material embrittlement or warping or WOF/CERT guys getting upset?

So far I'm thinking of the following-

Cast front hubs (bearing surfaces covered in tape first)

Forged steering arms

Swaybars

A million assorted brackets

Front stub (stub itself would be covered in wax tape first)

High tensile steel bolts/linkages/nuts

Pressed steel suspension arms

Etc etc etc

Any constructive info appreciated.

• Like 1

Datto_610 would be the man to ask.

He zinc plated anything that would fit in the bath at his work for his 180b when hw worked at an electroplaters.

There may still be minor hydrogen embtittlement with zinc. But not as bad as chrome.

You can get black zinc plating too. Which Is Sweet for parts that look naff silver or gold. (Which Is quite a few parts on a car)

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure they drop everything in an acid bath first which should remove paint.

One thing I've wondered about zinc playing is if you can mask off a piece to avoid it getting coated in zinc. Is this what you meant by wax paper?

Also has anyone had any experience on getting really small parts done? I've got a few small m4 bolts and nuts that I would love to get plated.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure they drop everything in an acid bath first which should remove paint.

One thing I've wondered about zinc playing is if you can mask off a piece to avoid it getting coated in zinc. Is this what you meant by wax paper?

Also has anyone had any experience on getting really small parts done? I've got a few small m4 bolts and nuts that I would love to get plated.

Well you can use denso wax tape to keep galv off stuff so I figured it would work with zinc too

if they have rust when you take them to get zinced they come back shitty, I have used a wire wheel on a bench grinder with very good results. and I have done a LOT of nuts and bolts this way in bright zinc.

I saw 3 motorcycles witch had all the bits done in gold zinc and it looked like shit,

• Like 1

So I made a few phone calls. Paint is no problem (but of course you pay for it)

They will do nothing high tensile due to hydrogen embrittlement HOWEVER when probed further for specifics he just said no high tensile bolts and everything else is fine..

So I asked someone very experienced in engineering and automotive shit and he said ABSOLUTELY no to getting anything forged done...no front stub assemblies, no steering arms, nothing at all like that.

Makes sense but good to get a definitive answer that I can trust.

Also.. olive drab and gold etc is all the same price. Back seems a bit harder to get.

Well I went out and about on Friday, and had a look around auckland at all the zinc players. Terei Bros won at the end of the day. John knows his shit and is one hell of a nice guy. Had a good look around his small workshop, and saw the plating process happening in front of me. The zinc comes out so shiny. Almost twice the price per kilo, that we are paying now, but with the price comes quality, and speedy turn around.

Bob at Otahuhu Chrome Platers sends all his zinc work to Terei Bros to get done.

• Like 1