UJ builds a cabin in them thar hills

Unclejake

Unsure if you're familiar with the song 'Little Blu House,' by Unknown Mortal Orchestra but it could well have been written about this.

Refers to, well, a little blue house which is 'sitting high on the mountainside.' It then recites the line 'maybe all the wolves could lose my scent, and I could stay here for a while.'

Anyway everytime that song comes on shuffle, I think about this thread.

#coolstorybro

(PS paint it blue)

• Like 3

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

There's not much to show lately gentle readers.

The last couple of weekends have been spent digging between raindrops, but I've had a great deal of help with the digging, and also the portage of building materials up to the site. 

Rightly or wrongly I figured it was a good idea to place some drainage on the uphill side of the cabin floor. That took all day yesterday, but it's pretty much done now. Digging into rock sucks TBH, but there's enough clay to cause a likely problem so the sleeved drain got installed. 

Sorry about the bad photo. Night time and damp cellphone

b23gkwus.ein.jpg

But the REALLY good news is that the dig out for the deck is done as of tonight. I still need to do lots of digging for the deck plies, retaining wall and roof posts, but the back of this bitch are broke. Two million kisses to the dear friend who did the bulk of the work. It was a good symbiotic relationship

jgnifjg2.5lj.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

My phone camera seems to be a bit dodgy, but even blurry photos are probably better than none:

Pile holes for deck = dug. Look at my bitch. Ain't he fine? He's 6'4" BTW. I'ma keep him

xscgbqxp.1ib.jpg

Retaining/deck pile posts = in
4ilxaazx.vg5.jpg

vnug041o.nkw.jpg

With luck I can start framing out the deck next weekend. It'll probably take about 6 weeks until the deck is laid, but then there will be enough room to start on the framing for the actual cabin. I also need about a million pavers, and to build two sets of stairs... but that can wait a few weeks/months too

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

It's taken a while... but the deck frame is almost finished. One more weekend and it'll be ready to accept the decking timber, which will give me enough room to start on the cabin wall frames

It's all good fun but bloody hard work! I have 2.8 tons of pavers that need to be carried up to the cabin if anyone is bored...

w5x0gzsi.niq.jpg
  • Like 7

The deck was an afterthought TBH, and had I put it on the other side of the cabin I'd need to cut down a bunch of trees... which would have mean't that the cabin was visible from the road below... which I'm not keen on. I want it to stay hidden.

The 'underground' deck is very sheltered from the wind!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's been a month where I felt like I tried really hard, but got almost nothing done.

Things got done for certain, but they're hard to see. What you probably can see now is the rocky face that I'm going to chisel into stairs. I have no idea how that particular endeavour is going to work out.... but I'd wager badly. Very badly.

Oh well. At least it'll be really hard and a waste of time. :-)

fjhytlvi.e2r.jpg

• Like 7