chrisr's nixie and electronic barrying thread

chris r

Minutes work

https://youtu.be/Ibdq6SD21gU

Voltage reg is getting warm but hasn't hit thermal cut off yet. will do a test at work all day and see how it goes. Will probably put a bigger heat sink on/use the ammo tin as a heat sink when I eventually put it in there. I still have to figure out why the '1' of the 10 hour(s) doesn't change over. And I'll have to test/figure out why there is no switching going on in the transistors for the voltage doubler. Then I can work out what I'll be doing with the set buttons and mounting of the dekatron

• Like 6

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have found some English info on the nixies, but thanks for the offer.

Ran this overnight and all seemed well , apart from the known issues. Will have another look this weekend

I've Got some more nixies on the way from russia. Will look into micro controllers/arduino and learn how to program them. Just need a suitable vehicle to put them in haha

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Sat down and spent some more hours on it. The tens weren't working properly. We thought that the transistors weren't turning off. Tested everything a few times and it was all doing everything it needs to. We ended up putting a transistor on a broad and figured that the pin out was completely different to all the data sheets we found. Sorted that and it works properly now. 

TLDR: the transistors didn't match their datasheet and to we had to bend the legs to get them in the correct place

IMG_20161031_135052779_zpseyqphq7f

• Like 2

I single handedly butchered a piece of ali today. Tried to make some faketina - probably should of left it brushed but got carried away. I attacked it a few times with a wire wheel in a drill to get it pitted, chucked some black on it went and found the heat gun and got the paint semi hard then wet sanded it for a bit and hit it with some clear. I'll wait to the clear has set and see how it looks tomorrow. I tested my shitty crimps on the plugs for the settings and the detatron and everything works. Tomorrow I'll attack the ammo tin and start mounting stuff. I have no idea how I'll hold a screw and get a nut on the end in a box with one hand but thats tomorrows problem. I really need a better phone/camera

I

nixie switch panel_zpsvwnrgb5kIMG_20161107_112033068_HDR_zpskoecm9xtIMG_20161107_112449880_zps6uw0kdzb

• Like 2

I made a bracket to hold the dekatron. Started screwing everything into the box. Fuse holder power socket and tranny are in. It was a bit of mucking around with a file for the dekatron as I lost the locking tab for the base.

I'll sort out the pics when I get home

Only the finest metal butchery will do. My excuse for the shitness is I'm doing it with my left hand

IMG_20161110_211415403_zps5ggfzl7fIMG_20161110_224810029_HDR_zpsa89tgbrz

Done made some purdy crimps

IMG_20161110_170047750_HDR_zpsge1yvbar

Dekatron base mount I had to clearance it so it'd clear the tranny.

received_10154287949138999_zps3dvbsbbk

I started filling the box, My (distant) English heritage came through with so many un captive nuts. Right about now I'd love a rivnut tool/set. It would of saved hours of time. I think it took me 2 or 3 hours of mucking around to get it to this stage. I quite like the hex head cap screws for some reason

received_10154287949163999_zpsgpt1q39sreceived_10154287949143999_zps9ogvn1htreceived_10154287949143999_zps9ogvn1ht

• Like 2