chrisr's nixie and electronic barrying thread

chris r

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did a bit more barrying tonight. 

Started burning in my other tubes, I didn't realise they were the violet ones. They are nearly done now 

IMG_20171222_214745670

That top tube has been burning in for a while, it's slowly coming up to full scale. Two of the others came up pretty quickly. 

IMG_20171222_231603889

I'll leave those two overnight and see what happens 

A few more components arrived for the clock so I've chucked them in. I remembered the transistors I have don't match the data sheet so Bent the pins as per the other clock 

IMG_20171222_221235908

Years ago I started making a small amplifier. I finally finished it last year and thought Bluetooth would be a cool addition. I got a cheap ebay/alexpress board as a test and chucked it in. It's a bit hummy/noisy but I am using a cheap plug pack to power it. It works well from the phone so I'm happy with it. I'll have to make another box for it as thst metal one won't work too well with the Bluetooth module 

IMG_20171222_231618539

• 1 month later...

Awesome nixie projects man!

Just completed this kit from PV Electronics over here in the UK. 

First clock build which was good fun, so much soldering but totally worth it as the neon glow from the nixie tube looks epic in real life. I'm hooked!

The tubes are IN-12a's which have a 18mm digit height.

Its also running orange led's behind the tubes, had the option to run a variety of colours but felt orange suits. 

IMG_6896.jpg.9f7bd1fe93db07e073d8db238375dd3a.jpg

IMG_6897.jpg

• Like 4

In 2015 I built the Sven Reloaded kit from nixiekits.eu :

v1_7gs.JPG

It has multicoloured LEDs under the tubes which you can program for different RGB settings for every hour of the day. You can dim or blank the tubes over certain hours for weekdays and different hours for weekends. There are so many setup options I need to get out the manual every time. :doubt:

v1_2gs_crop.JPG

I built the kit into a metal box because the futuristic plastic case it comes with doesn't suit the radiogram where it will eventually live.

If you turn on that switch on the right, the clockwork cogs run off a little electric motor. They're a bit frantic and rattly though.

At some point I'd quite like to build a stereo magic eye VU meter as my next kit. I can't decide on my favourite tubes out of all the various green designs.

Edited by Thousand Dollar Supercar
clarity
  • Like 3

Thats a sweet clock, I really like to the steampunk kinda theme, suits nixies a lot I reckon. I was debating whether to get the side view tubes but the top view IN-12a's are so cheap.

https://www.pvelectronics.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=140

I'm not a huge fan of LED's under the tubes either, mines currently set to 2 out of 9 in brightness settings just so there is a bit of orange but not taking away from the tubes neon glow. 

Next step for me is to build the case, thinking vintage/steampunk wood with brass buttons. 

• 9 months later...

Now I'm broken again it's time to start more projects instead of finishing existing ones. 

I ordered sone parts for the new nixie clock from a nz supplier but they never turned up or answered emails after taking my money. I'd forgotten that part until I went looking for said parts. Ebay to the rescue and they are now coming from China. 

Spent some time with my uncle and he has just made a concrete box for his sub and we got sharning about box design etc. I remembered I had a big old soundstream in the shed. I remember it being quite loud in the car with a shitty standard box so it should work well as a sub for the lounge 

IMG_20181201_191723

I looked around and found a few cheap amps but none liked the impedance of the sub. A bit more searching and I found and ordered this Amp

Just need to figure out a power supply, either aliexpress or DIY something 

• Like 1

Cool stuff guys, look forward to updates.

Re concrete. I heard a interview with salmonella dub once, said the meanest place they ever played was a club in Europe somewhere with concrete subs built into the stage and big ass fridges like at gas station to keep the amps cool. Crazy.

• Like 1

I once roto moulded a 30 litre polyethylene sub box had 15 kg of plastic and 4kg of sand was a BEAST! the sand stuck to the inside wall and deadened any drummyness you get with wood.

Can imagine concrete would be similar qualities. cutting gritty plastic was a right cunt how do you cut the hole in concrete at home?

Cool projects too.

3 hours ago, Muncie said:

I once roto moulded a 30 litre polyethylene sub box had 15 kg of plastic and 4kg of sand was a BEAST! the sand stuck to the inside wall and deadened any drummyness you get with wood.

Can imagine concrete would be similar qualities. cutting gritty plastic was a right cunt how do you cut the hole in concrete at home?

Cool projects too.

Diamond tipped holesaws (core drill), masonry drills or diamond tipped masonry cutoff wheels for ya grinder. Super easy but the concrete dust is pretty dangerous id imagine.

If hes smart he shoudnt need to do any cutting tho 

• 1 year later...

Haven't done anything with the sub box

remembered I had another clock project thats been sitting for a couple of years

U90KrQp.jpg

found all the components I'd ordered

IcHynpN.jpg

all the components soldered in place

x8V0wVl.jpg

I forgot how many tubes I had 

meR0to8.jpg

RwtNSS5.jpg

• Like 8

Dug through my hoard of stuff. I had planned on doing some stuff with copper and nixies so I'll see what I can come up with. 

tcw0N5y.jpg

I thought about leaving them corroded, polished one and decided I liked that better so did the rest 

IXwEStF.jpg

I was a bit worried about the darker tee's but they came out okay in the end 

1p6SFrN.jpg

• Like 9