What's wrong with my windscreen?

Roman

I have asked Auntie Google for an answer, to which she showed me:

VISUAL APPEARANCE

Tempered glass possesses the basic optical qualities of annealed glass. The induced stress condition sometimes produces a slight bow in tempered glass lights. Tempered glass that has been manufactured in a vertical tempering oven contains small surface depressions resembling dimples along one edge. These marks are caused by the pointed metal tongs which support the glass during its passage through the oven. Glass which is passed horizontally through an oven may contain a very slight surface wave caused by contact with the rollers. The waviness can sometimes be detected when viewing reflected images from a large distance. Finally, the air quench nozzles discharge air in a fixed, reciprocating or rotating motion. The area of air quench can be seen through polarized glass as arrays of irridescent spots or lines. Under some lighting conditions these patterns can be seen in ordinary light.

• Like 4

I wondered what that was for ages after seeing it in photos, then I bought some polarising sunglasses, I have noticed the effect is lesser on newer cars, 70's are wavy as shit, 80's is more even and new cars just look like they have a purple tinge to the entire screen.

I've only noticed it from the inside of one old vehicle (hiace), it's not much of a problem 

• Like 2