el-cheapo spray gun advice

anglia4

I'm looking at two spray guns at the moment.

Repco have "Mechpro" brand.

Supercheap have "Blackridge" brand.

Both are gravity feed, both on sale, both about the same price.

Has anyone had experience with these? (or other tools of the same brands)

Know which might be better?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

semi related, thinking of spraying instead of brushing on sound deadening and stuff = big tips yeah?

These cheap guns come with a 1-2mm tip im guessing need to find Ragtops 4mm unicorn version (gont want to run that stuff though my 'paint' guns nor do i want to spend neds on a single use item.

Bought a mechpro 2 gun set gravity feed gun the machining is awful extra shitty mission to clean the suction gun that came in the kit machining is better but not much use for anything but primer. There is a brand called wellmade i have and it is a copy of a de vilbiss (Good brand)a bloody good copy too. Haha i swap parts between my de vilbiss gun and the wellmade when needed nozzles seals they all fit which is good as you can buy de villbiss parts which are ok price wise.

Yep, checked the gun the other day, 4. 4mm or number 4, I don't know, just has a 4 on the tip.

spraygun.jpg

one of china's best.

:-D

I'm going to give some primer a go soon so we'll see how that goes!

I was looking at those wellmade guns at the paint shop the other day, was about $150, might be worth getting one.

semi related, thinking of spraying instead of brushing on sound deadening and stuff = big tips yeah?

These cheap guns come with a 1-2mm tip im guessing need to find Ragtops 4mm unicorn version (gont want to run that stuff though my 'paint' guns nor do i want to spend neds on a single use item.

Depends what you are using? you can thin it down and cheese it on with a 2mm ro 2.4mm tip, done it before. Also you should be cleaning your guns spotless after each use, most people don't splash out on the 2 part underseal so it is pretty easy to clean solvent curing stuff out of a gun. 

I have something like this for under-seal and wax, except it is a tad flasher and is all adjustable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035YB7WI/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005GL5F0I&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1BA21ZK1PYZFV2ATCTKG

IMO, the $100-$250 price range is pretty dodgy, I dont think you get that nicer finish compared to the extra cost over a $50 gun, and they are miles off the finish from a $300+ gun.

When it comes time to paint something over here I'm going to buy an Iwata w400 off eBay, they work great and at ~$300 they are hard to beat. They are what I used to spray the alfa and the lotus, and neither of them got any colour sanding and the paint looks mint straight off the gun.