el-cheapo spray gun advice

anglia4

I saw first hand the difference between a $150 and a $700 gun by the same untrained n00b and the difference was night and day. Not saying you have to spend $700, but the job that was done with the cheap gun was rubbish and the expensive gun was mint, so at least don't get bottom of the barrel spec if you ask me...

• Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the kit I bought too. Sprayed my engine bay so far and came out fantastic in 2k. For the price you can't go wrong as others have said it's more crap painting technique that most will have than problems with the gun as long as it's set up correctly. Good water trap and the right air pressure and you should be sweet

Thanks for the feedback man. Weighed it all up & decided to go for the DeVilbiss kit in the end because as you say, it comes with 2 guns & 3 tips which I thought would be more handy & the price was about the same. Wasn't sure about the side mounted cup on the W-71 either. They're probably much of a muchness at the end of the day anyway, but what the fuck would I know?

Should turn up in the next coupla weeks then I can finally get back into the car. Yay

I saw first hand the difference between a $150 and a $700 gun by the same untrained n00b and the difference was night and day. Not saying you have to spend $700, but the job that was done with the cheap gun was rubbish and the expensive gun was mint, so at least don't get bottom of the barrel spec if you ask me...

Its tough, not all $150 guns are created equal. The sweet spot is buy overseas and spend like $400. My mate gummed up my good gun and it needed some parts so I painted my tailgate with a $40 bunnings Ozito gun, It was a pile of shit but I spent the time and got the clear laying down as flat as I could on a test piece, came out OK (still needs a colour sand, but hey). Because how thin basecoat is it lays that shit down like glass. I think once you have learned all the variables that go into getting a smooth finish then the gun is the finishing touch to make a real good job. Most DIY guys (me) will spend their first couple paint jobs spraying the clear too think or no idea what pressure to run, you kind of follow the data sheet and wing it. You need to just test, test, test and use that feedback to get it right, the setup takes ages to do this testing so most people don;t do it.