Kempy's e61 of yuck.

kempy

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had good results using p400 on a sanding block, with plenty of water and a drop of detergent.

Take full length strokes rather than a back & forth motion. Clamp a bit of wood on as a fence if you can't get it straight enough.

Practice on a bit of scrap/the back of the panel first.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update, Have cleaned up the Stainless front using a scotch brite and a foam backing, came up reasonably well.

er3vqhf0.j01.jpg

The pump had a few issues and was vibrating so much that it snapped off the rubber mounts and was wearing the hoses, upon inspection I found that the rubber anti-vibration coupling had gone brittle and fallen apart.

Old pump vs New pump

qhi44s1e.ao3.jpg

Here's the rubber mounts, The new ones I got are too tall and the pump touches the boiler so I need to find some small ones like the originals somewhere, not having much luck so far.

1v0paetc.dym.jpg

They're supposed to be 3mm shaft and around 11mm high if anyone knows of a local source.

• Like 5

Group Head thermal syphon control valves.

Having a group head thermal syphon adjustment is one of the more unique features of the Faema Legend, it lets the user make adjustments to the flow of hot water that heats the group head and fine tune the temperature.

Here's a quick bit run down on their maintenance which is overlooked in a lot of cases, the condition of these ones is pretty much what you'd expect from several years of little to no maintenance exhibiting plenty of mineral deposits (with some added glass beads from the external clean) which will affect the flow and reduce the temperature.

There was an external tell tale sign of the flow problem with someone trying to open the valves too far, this in turn bulged the thin stainless steel covers outwards from their seats and had to be beaten flat again before being reinstalled.

1506629354_38ThermosyphonValves.jpg.3bf645d26dd29d2b19a80c661483f013.jpg

One of the valves bead blasted and a quick polish in an attempt to reduce future deposit build up.

2083177747_39PolishedValve.jpg.ec264f4bb38c23931e640ee802c1f643.jpg

Here's what is essentially the service kit, 2 O-Rings per valve and some high temp silicone grease

2048158699_40Therosyphonrebuildkit.jpg.2da4d8a03508a39dde0157250c1c634b.jpg

All done and ready to install.

1819380742_41rebuiltvalves.jpg.d8fce8601c57822422d497b96480e138.jpg

• Like 5

Man I shouldn't even think about this but it's almost like I could find a use for brothers old boiler I took out of the dry cleaning steam stuff which he got with his leather refinishing business when he took it over but the stuff was so old and under maintained it soon enough stopped working.

Leading into it, I suppose, is I used to find those el cheapo coffee machines from briscoes and whatever in the inorganics and would simply strip off all the plastic and then set them in wood and metal mounts then fire them up and have a really crap coffee machine which seemed insistent in burning the coffee but if I timed it right and put only so much water in it then wait a specified time after it actually started boiling... I could get a nice coffee out of it.

But I better forget about it as like anyone here there's always about a hundred other projects which might actually even have a few of them finished if tangents didn't keep bloody appearing. With that said then you're welcome kempy to the boilder and various odds and ends which are still there if you are keen on a Mad Professor coffee machine?

• Like 2

artyone I'm definitely interested as this rebuild is coming to an end, I've always wanted to do a one off build.

Speaking to getting closer to finishing today's effort lead to a pre-fit of everything before I get the sealants out and fix stuff in place.

599273151_42frontmockup.jpg.8dd99b052d18bb190b816d702d105b52.jpg

463840888_43Rearmockup.jpg.9496a7a85065a7401eddca1a8dff6607.jpg

• Like 6

Before it all goes back together it's time to have a look at the auto fill and thermal expansion valve, as expected their titles fairly well describe their function.

The Auto/Manual fill block it the large Brass block at the top left and about 85% of the bits here go into/onto that component, Auto-fill is by means of a water level probe that is height adjustable from the top of the boiler, the probe in turn connects electrically to a electronic sensing circuit and this in turn actuates an electromagnetic valve to add water to the boiler until the water reaches the probe again.

This machine also includes a manual fill option for the purpose of initial filling of the tank, as the element needs to be immersed in water before it gets switched on, or, a manual fill in case the electronics die.

948687643_44Autofillandexpansionvalve.jpg.b1162e1c0ecf97006a603ad18ca8c856.jpg

On the bottom left in the picture above is the thermal expansion valve, it connects to the heat exchange side of the circuit and normally drips out a small amount of water as the water expands under heat, it's essential as there's normally no air in the circuit to act as a pressure buffer

In the picture below is a closer look at the rear of the electronic fill valve and the jet that attaches to it, both are pretty manky.

Electronic Fill valve. (new one on left)

1700992903_45Autovalve.jpg.b701479c72ace22000563c4efedbe0ba.jpg

Surprise Surprise, another blocked Jet. Thit fits in the No.1 hole on the auto fill valve in the picture above.

708976879_46Autofilljet.jpg.0f539b288d0d31f7fe90070931b720e0.jpg

Looks like it's time to start up the bead blaster again!

• 2 weeks later...

Had a fellow OSGC drop in this morning so an early morning effort for a trial run before putting it all back together..an epic fail

Motor bearings which were about the only thing I hadn't replaced and they decided it was time to seize solid (top one in the pic), managed to fly through the door 10 minutes before Saeco bearings closed, awesome that they had them in stock.

Runs a lot smoother and quieter now.

1055342557_47Motor.jpg.ab407b862049e79d2031c64b2882ace2.jpg

• Like 1

On their way mate.

Here's a couple of pics with the stainless all polished up and after a couple of coffee's made.

Still have the final decals and brass nameplate to go on as well as the flexible steam wand, various bottom section covers and somehow polish the scratches out of the perspex cup holder on the top.

I like the bottom section left black as you see it now with the under body showing so I'm pondering painting the stainless covers black... ( the covers you see with 'FAEMA" written on them in the first phoyo on page one)

875755_48Rearpolished.jpg.62b2741c985e553412adf0f4bed23d13.jpg

1308439106_49Front.jpg.598445000d9d8a8330f300c774d058dd.jpg

• Like 7