Chris R's various honda thread including punishing modern non os daily driver updates

chris r

• Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bum dyno says the orthia has more midrange and it certainly feels nicer to drive. The Mrs says it feels better too 

Had a few hours to work on the shuttle today.

So younger me did think about removing the loom and put plugs inside so it was easy enough to disconnect. Not the tidiest work but its been functioning for 10 ish years like that so I must have done something right. I'll be redoing it all anyway

The car is a mess as its storage/I've just thrown stuff in it 

5pvykDG.jpg

y1PYcCM.jpg

Rare NZ new povo spec AC delete vent out

eqT8ws0.jpg

W7nIfU5.jpg

The EF sedan evaporator bolted in nicely

uT2lNHg.jpg

The low-pressure hard line even bolts up nicely

XnO9d1A.jpg

I have two options for the low pressure/suction side, I can cut and attempt to braze the hose (with r134 connector) onto the ef hard line.

Or see if I can get the flex line crimped onto the EF line and fit an R134 service port adapter

yndwXmE.jpg

• Like 6

@Raizer machined the cast v-band adaptor housing to fit/work with a v-band flange 

4vBA34b.jpg

Sat the turbo in the engine bay now the Ac compressor is sitting there and there is more space than I was expecting, even with the stock manifold in place 

j4s1LdT.jpg

Plan is to have a coupler from the turbo into the intercooler

aAucmtq.jpg

The intercooler should (will one way or another) fit just in front of the vertical brace for the bonnet support behind the bumper

OEM6Xw2.jpg

• Like 3

I'll need to get the aircon condenser at least roughly in place with a idea on where the hoses need to go so I can figure out where the turbo and its plumbing can go. I'll most likely need to figure out some shrouds for the radiator etc and the intercooler. Never had an issue with the current radiator with its pusher fan but that is stock power levels and without an intercooler and ac condenser in front. I'll also need to figure out what size fan will fit on the back of the radiator. Depending on where the intercooler ends up sitting I might see if I can get a small fan for one side of it which we can control via ecu if temps get too high

I spent a few hours looking through a Air Con catalogue looking at different sized condensers etc. Basically nothing OEM will fit nicely. I have found and ordered a universal 12"x16" condenser which should mount onto the front of my radiator nicely.

Will see if I can pop to zebra tomorrow and with a bit of luck the Civic there will have a un butchered high side line from the evaporator to the receiver drier so I won't have to fuck around with brazing a bunch of hoses together 

I'll leave this link here so I can find it again later (all the fitting sizes etc - http://www.gpdtechtips.com/techtip136.html

• Like 3

Had a chat to the local ac guys and they can't just re crimp the end of the hose. Need to replace the flexi hose and new crimps on both ends as the hose is a different size apparently. Bit more than I wanted to spend but atleast I know it'll be done properly and shouldn't leak. 

The sticker shock gave me a bit of encouragement to attempt the rest of the lines 

I must not be the only honda sicko wanting to reinstate aircon into their ef. Everything had been taken from the ef civic at zebra, I grabbed some lines off a ek civic as they are longer and looked like they'd be usable 

hqixUd5.jpeg

Among the lines I grabbed when I was at pick a part (fucking cunts for cutting them to degass them) the daihatsu lines had a nice block for the service port and pressure switch. 

I cut the lines off and drilled them out so I could fit my lines in and make it less difficult to braze them

dGmLYh3.jpeg

Z0Slssd.jpeg

Took a few attempts 

5wo9TSu.jpeg

One side leaked with the 0.5 psi my lungs could generate. 

Re braze that and the other side leaked so redid that too. Doesn't appear to be any more leaks now

mYhfM17.jpeg

A bonus of using the ek lines is they match the receiver drier I already have 'in stock' that I got for the orthia. 

I don't like the pressure switch sitting on that block by the strut tower. I'll swap the blank off the receiver drier and install it on the receiver drier so it's nicely tucked away 

• Like 2

Orthia update. Done a few hundred km since the tune. Turns out more midrange torque/power means better economy. Best since the vtec conversion. The 7.8 L/100 was when it was stock auto non vtec 

JAUm17C.jpeg

The local ac shop redid the suction hose for me, was a bit more than I expected to pay but it's hopefully done right. I'll get a conversion fitting for the service port and let's hope that's it. 

DL1g8oA.jpeg

• Like 7

6 hours ago, chris r said:

Orthia update. Done a few hundred km since the tune. Turns out more midrange torque/power means better economy. Best since the vtec conversion. The 7.8 L/100 was when it was stock auto non vtec 

JAUm17C.jpeg

The local ac shop redid the suction hose for me, was a bit more than I expected to pay but it's hopefully done right. I'll get a conversion fitting for the service port and let's hope that's it. 

DL1g8oA.jpeg

Pretty impressive, DOHC ZC Beagle was 10L/100km...

On 06/03/2024 at 20:58, Willdat? said:

Pretty impressive, DOHC ZC Beagle was 10L/100km...

My other sohc auto beagle is about the same as yours. I'll see if it stays like this for a while 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris r said:

I went to go pressure test my brazed hose the other day and noticed I've damaged the sight glass so I'll need to re make that line or keep looking for a factory one 

H7t9mcI.jpeg

Size of sight glass? Perhaps a motorcycle master cyl replacement  glass/oring would fit? I have a few bags of different size 

5 hours ago, tortron said:

Size of sight glass? Perhaps a motorcycle master cyl replacement  glass/oring would fit? I have a few bags of different size 

Hmm possibly. This does look pressed in or some other wizardry

My only worry with master cylinder glass is would it like the high pressures of the ac system 

I saw some fittings cheap on AliExpress and they arrived in a couple of weeks which was a surprise. Ordered a bit of tube with the hope/plan to use it as a sleeve 

Zvxjp6q.jpeg

hgZNl6m.jpg

It even fits nicely in the compressor 

JVPDGhi.jpeg

Very spenny hose fits and lines up as well 

The scumbag /barry in me is very tempted to cut the end of the factory hose and crimp or clamp onto the fitting. 

lJR7EKp.jpg

• Like 1

On 14/03/2024 at 20:07, 87creepin said:

How much was the power steering hose? 

It's the low pressure ac line. Was $250 all said and done. 

From memory the last power steer hose I had made up was a similar amount 

• Like 1

I went on a barry rabbit hole and found out pretty much all 92-2001 small hondas (b and d series motors) all have the same ac compressor. 

I noticed the orthia has a nicer shaped discharge (heh) hose, the crv has the same shaped hose so I grabed one from pick a part. It brings the line closer to the chassis rail and away from potential turbo stuff. 

bqpV5NJ.jpeg

ZrmkGjZ.jpeg

Found a service port adapter and valve removal tool on rock auto for cheap so got them with some other stuff I had coming. 

l8DEv3B.jpg

Now low side has a R134 service port, it took me a few attempts to realise I needed to remove the old valve before screwing that fitting on 

I also grabbed a high pressure line off a ba Falcon so I can use the service port off that or just use the line as sleeve.

I also figured out the self install or diy ac line kits use oetiker or double ear clamps on their lines.

Once the condenser arrives I plan to chop the crv condenser end off and use the ear clamps on one of the fittings I got off AliExpress. If it doesn't work it was a $30 experiment and I can still use the crv alloy shaped hose and braze a mior fitting onto it 

• Like 1

Condenser arrived today, dougs given his approval 

2hclq3Y.jpeg

Fits in the space nicely, little bit of overhang so I'll need to figure out some shroud /bracket arrangements. From all the the info I found condenser ideally shouldn't be more than 13mm away from the rad so I can keep it nice and close 

kcBOFJV.jpeg

• Like 4

I was poking around looking for bulkhead connectors and found a deutsch connector which looked nice and worked with the crimper I already own. 

Little bit more poking around on the Te connectivity website and saw a sample button next to a version of the connector, but more poking around and there were more products with a sample button. 

qqW8WuN.jpeg

Apparently it is not too good to be true and everything arrived. Now comes the part where I hope my spreadsheet and counting was correct and I do actually have enough pins to do what I want 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1