Siverado question

pusherman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vortec multi point injection started in 1996.

Vortec is GM's name for their engines that use Port Fuel Injection. Before Vortec was introduced in 1996, GM Trucks used Throttle Body Injection or TBI for fuel delivery. It was basically taking the idea of a Carburetor and adding fuel injectors at the top where the air mixed, so that it was more controllable. This helped to prevent things like vapor lock. However, in 1996 the injectors were moved from the air intake area to directly in the cylinder, GM called it Vortec. There are two versions of Vortec, Sequential Port Fuel Injection and Multi-Port Fuel Injection. The latter is what is used in todays applications. Vortec and other fuel injected engines allow for total computer control of fuel mixture and therefore increase power and theoretically efficiency of an engine. Though from my personal experience I've found that earlier Vortecs engines 1996-1998 were good for power, but slightly worse for mileage compared with TBI

• Like 1

283 used Rochester Mechanical Injection in the Corvette, once tuned was reliable and was one of the first production engines to produce 1 hp per cubic inch.

This should not be confused with the truly awful Mechanical Injection by Lucas I think used on the Triumph 2500 PI.

Hey now now now there is nothing wrong with lucas PI mechanical injection, it's awesome and reliable, people just used to muck with it without knowing what they were doing. There's a reason so many formula 5000s and other race cars used it

• Like 2

Yeah, I have yo agree, it did work on the 5000 cars.

You did however leave out a couple of things.

Av-gas or methanol was used.

They also used a far better fuel pump, it was this which caused most issues with the PI along with owners playing with it.

I have a 2000 Silverado, it has the 5.3 LS motor. These first appeared with the change in body style in 1999. The earlier trucks had the throttle body injection on the traditional small block 305's and 350's and the Big Block 454's. The TPI injection only appeared on passenger cars, Corvettes, IROC Camaros, Trans AMs and Buick Roadmasters etc. It was a shame the TPI motors never got put in the trucks because they have a torque curve like a 400 Pontiac, all there by 2500 revs and all done by 5000. There was a quote by some racer who said the TPI was the best truck motor Chevrolet never put in a truck. 

So how do you find it on gas? I understand we are in a modified car forum and if i use the word eco##my i will be beaten with a torque wrench

I plan on running it for work doing 300-450km a week.

Going on what i read on the net. And the actuall consumption of my van they are the same which makes me wonder exactly how fucked is my 2l madaz bong on van

The LS motors can be pretty sweet on Gas for what they are installed in, main thing is the weight of what you are moving around. a bongo van full of junk could be rather heavy and if you are having to stomp that gas pedal to move it all the time the smaller engine will still use alot of gas.

My 2003 GMC does a little better than that on the highway, but we were going 70mph lots of places. Around town it depends how you drive, 18-25l/100km is normal.

Chucked mine over the weigh bridge and it's around 2400kg which isn't too bad for extended cab & long tray.

Just looking at fuelly stats.

1500's should be around the 14-15.5l/100

2500's add another few on, 16-18.5l/100

3500's add another few on, 17-19/100

Some were averaging in the low to mid 20's so I guess they're the soccer mom type owners always driving about town.

Hi Pusherman

My truck gets about 14l/100ks driving everywhere. The only mod to the motor is a full twin exhaust from the standard exhaust manifolds. Towing my 17 ft caravan it gets about 20l/100, I don't slow down for hills we sit on the limit the whole way. Towing the caravan with my wifes Grand Vitara , 2.4 manual, got the same economy and a lot less speed up the big hills.

If you are thinking about buying one, do it. It is the best vehicle that I have ever owned. It goes well, handles nicely, pedders shocks, 20 inch wheels and a 4/2 lowering kit help. The only issue is I have had is 2 fuel pumps died. Bunce's have them for $800 plus GST. Buying one from Summit racing should be landed for $400.

Apart from the pump it is a cheap vehicle to own, all it really needs is maintenance items, brake pads every 50k miles, my first set of tyres lasted about the same. The battery just got replaced, first one after 8 years (marine batteries are the answer).