Siverado question

pusherman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Threeonthetree

I'm partial to the odd Holden myself, I can definitely see an HQ or 2 in my future, however nothing matches an extra cab Silverado when you have more than three people and a pile of stuff to cart around.

I bought my truck here, off a dealer in Newmarket who traded it on a Kia Sorento. That was nearly 9 years ago and it had been in the country about a year at that point. The RHD conversion was done by a crowd down in Welly.

Chevy pickups hold their price well, for ones less than 20 years old, it's the cost of the RHD conversion that kills you. I did see a current shape one the other day on the motorway LHD and registered. Love to know how that happened. Anyway that is a different conversation.

I paid $48k for my truck nearly 9 years ago, there is a guy who is hounding me to sell it to him and will pay $32k. I nearly bought an SS crewman for the same money, what would that have been worth now $12-$15?? It's not the cost of petrol that kills you, its maintenance and depreciation, ask anyone who bought a new luxury barge like a top of the line Audi, Beemer, Merc..............

They guy who came round in the weekend to buy the canopy off my truck had a 2004 extended cab with the 4.8 motor. He paid $30k and reconned he go a steal at that price.

If you can spend the extra and get the later model one, they are way better. 

as per what I have 1 x million times, over 20 years old and under 3500kg gvm/gvwr can be registered LHD

Which LHD vehicles are allowed to be registered in New Zealand?

Under Land Transport Rule: Steering Systems (2001), it's generally illegal to register a LHD vehicle for use on New Zealand roads. However, the rule allows some specific categories of LHD vehicles to be registered and operated. The main categories are listed below. (Make sure you also read the requirements for each permitted category, which follow this list.)

Category A: Special interest light vehicles less than 20 years old

These are LHD vehicles under 20 years of age that have been recognised as special interest vehicles by the NZ Transport Agency and have been issued with a Category A left-hand drive vehicle permit.

Category B: Light vehicles that are 20 years old or more

These are light vehicles that were manufactured 20 years or more before the vehicle is certified in New Zealand.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/factsheets/12/importing-a-left-hand-drive-vehicle.html

So basically

Class 1, less than 20yrs old = Requires SIV but can be registered as LHD with Permit.

Class 1, over 20yrs old = Can be LHD, must be <3500kg GVM

I could read that link but I assume Class 2 is where things get annoying or is it cut and dry for that too, Pete?