This one's got me.. carb tech heads please

yetchh

Ok, so you may have read in my build thread about the zephyr and how it ran faultless to nats and back but now isn't. 

Symptoms - running extremely rough

flames out of carbs under light throttle/wont rev

fouls plugs

dies if hand over front carb but not rear

if left for 5 or so minutes runs and revs fine then over about 20-30sec runs rough again

mixture screws do nothing

remedied  - timing, was advanced by 7-10deg

coil, old one failed

cleaned out both carbs

installed fuel filter 

both carbs getting gas

yeah, so I'm a little stumped, the running good then rough one is what I can't figure out. The other is why the coil suddenly failed, maybe it took something else(condenser) out with it, was also thinking maybe a couple of sticky exh valves on 5 or 6, has much more suction from front carb. Thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

have you checked the compression?  tuning up Multiple carburetor engines can be imposable if they are low on some cylinders. is what i have found.

Spitting back through the carb and the mixture screws not doing anything can be lean or air leeks

7-10deg of advance is a shit load, that can cause the spitting back and hard starting 

Replace the condenser they wear out

• Like 1

Yeah carb flames=lean condition somewhere, what are failed condenser symptoms? Started easy but they don't like anymore than 8deg anyway, I'm surprised I didn't have issues last year with it. Haven't done a comp test yet, was next on my list.. 

Yeah carb flames=lean condition somewhere, what are failed condenser symptoms? Started easy but they don't like anymore than 8deg anyway, I'm surprised I didn't have issues last year with it. Haven't done a comp test yet, was next on my list.. 

failed condenser symptoms are back firing though carb, engine won't rev just pops and bangs, burnt points, runs like a bag of shit, it makes them hoe through petrol to.   

• Like 1

failed condenser symptoms are back firing though carb, engine won't rev just pops and bangs, burnt points, runs like a bag of shit, it makes them hoe through petrol to.   

Sounds a shit load like it.. the dead coil seemed to be the start of it for me.. nothing else had changed

Check for cracked distributor cap. I've had similer issues with a Falcon I owned, it was firing into 2 cylinders at the same time

If possible find a vacume gauge and use it, it can tell you way more than you expect.

Like high idle vacume with a flickering needle would indercate a valve not sealing right etc.

Bit of a dark art these days but if you know how to read them they are indespencible for diagnoseing issues.

Dwell angle meters are real helpfull working out spark problems, again a forgoten tool.

These 3 tools should be in every Old School mechanics tool kit.

Vacume Gauge,  Dwell meter and a Comprestion tester, used together you can work out whats going on in a carb and points engine.

Fuel pressure gauge and a timing light should be in there to.

Good luck and Happy New Year.

• Like 1

waiting with anticipation

I had an ms65 corwn that crapped out a condenser, only car I have ever delt with where this had happened

Drove ok but at full throttle it popped and farted and did all sorts of weird shit.

took a stab and got it right,

learned a lot from that,

• Like 1

got a fucken good belt off no6 so I'm guessing so.. didn't seem to make diff when I pulled them tho

Change the plugs, they do fail. probably not the cause of the problem entirely but another thing off the list.

I had one that the spark was jumping the gap at the base of the insulator, spark getting to plug but not firing the cylinder.

Change the plugs, they do fail. probably not the cause of the problem entirely but another thing off the list.

I had one that the spark was jumping the gap at the base of the insulator, spark getting to plug but not firing the cylinder.

They'll prob just foul again, find the source then change them..

Timings at factory, firing orders right.. the more I think about it the more I'm convinced it's the condenser.. gonna change it tonigh, and points.