yetchh

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read a good quote..  

"90% of all carb problems are electrical"

Will keep that in mind next time I decide to make a fool of myself.

Reminds me of years ago when my dad's B1600 was doing weird shit like that. He shagged around with the carby for ages and fixed a few obvious things but it still ran like shit. In the end he got a mechanic to sort it and the verdict was "it was something electrical".

Few things to check

1. Check your charge rate isn't too high (14.7 max) and that you have a good earth from the battery to the block, and body too.
  2. Cleaning the tip of the points is important before firing up. But that looks like too much voltage to me - not contamination.
  3. Check the condensor is correctly wired. It should be wired to join into the wire that runs between the coil negative post and the distributor.
  4. Make sure you have continuity between the advance plate and the body of the distributor. This is normally achieved through a super flexible pigtail wire inside the distributor. (see pic)
  5. Also disconnect any tacho you may have wired in - just to eliminate that as a potential cause - even though I doubt it.

Pigtail wire is this one here with the arrows pointing to the screws. (if it doesn't go near the body of the contacts then it does not need to be insulated)

p45f.jpg

Earth to motor is needed or it will try and earth through the point of least resistance and that can be as dumb as your accelerator cable, clutch cable, or even choke cable.

If your coil is mounted on the body then it could be trying to earth via the coil negative wire when the points are closed which could cause this very problem. 

If you don't have an easy way to connect an earth between motor and body/battery then as a test - run a 20amp cable from the distributor clamp bolt to the negative on the battery.

Keep an eye/hand on how hot that cable gets. Especially when cranking.  Disconnect your tacho for shits and giggles too. :wink: