Stylez' - '59 Borgward hansa kombi's - discussion

stylez

Awesome cars, BMW bankrupted them to take them out in the 60's, really interesting story! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borgward

The cars were seriously over engenered and parts are available from OZ http://www.borgwardisabella.com/

There are a couple of clubs for them too! I saw them and I was worried that nobody would save them.

They are rare and quite desirable in Europe, but virtually unknown here.

any help you need P.M me and I'll see what I can do.

Great save dude :-D

Thanks guys.

SOHC - no shed mate, will hopefully get a garage built in the next few months, they're under covers for now.

Zebra Dude - I'm lucky enough to not only have a second car but also a spare front axle, couple of gearboxes, a head, list goes on.

I'll have a look at Basis Kyteler, thanks dude.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As in time running or?

ive sprayed it a few times with some penetrating oil, ya reckon i should just keep it running and it might free?

If it was mine I would just spray it with penetrating oil and tap it with a rubber mallet a couple of times each evening for a few weeks and see what happens. I've seen a video on youtube where a guy put a drill onto the valve stem and turned it but that will probably bugger something.

Inbetween the coughing and pluttering it doesn't sound too far off this one man

Crikey, cheers for that, maybe mine isn't so bad after all! I suppose it is a boxer. I've got a full exhaust on the other car I'll prob swap over soon, might help with back pressure and stuff too.

I also saw a guy on youtube use penetrating oil and then just bash it in with a screwdriver/hammer, only the inside wall of the engine bay is too close for that. I'll keep hitting them with penetrating oil all week and try fire it up again the weekend.

Got to go pick up some more parts this weekend, one engine, 2 gearboxes, another tailgate (with glass!) , one front end subframe thing, few other bits. Time to give a garage company a call I think and get a quote.

Thanks for the advice.