Terminal220's 1982 VH SL/E sedan

Terminal220

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha you were probably on Recruit course as I was putting my 717 in, if I had've stayed in it would be my 13th anniversary on Wednesday.

X2 on eagers for hotties, but good luck finding them in a suitable size

Yeah, I joined up in 2003.

So yeah, have been looking for eagers.....most are 235+. Too wide for me, 225 is the max that wont rub. Am still keeping an eye out but am looking at alternatives with white lettering. To be honnest the e36 rims dont look too bad. But after I got the hotwires back......nothing else will do/

cx0u41w3.s4j.jpg

Note: mudflaps are now off. But part of me likes them on. Maybe they will go back on when I find a sunvisor?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok,

So i hit a stalling point just over a week ago. One of my bleed nipples were completely rounded when I went to bleed the rear disc brakes. Started digging around and yup.....pretty much coozed. Have a new pair on order ex ozzy, should hopefully arrive in the next day or so. Thats cool, started looking into tyre size choice, exhaust setup and tidying up a few things like power steering pump etc..... may even look at those bloody drive shaft hoops. Anyway...couple of questions for yall.

1. You can kind of see it in the photo above, but the gap between the tyre and wheel arch at the front is bigger than at the rear. People have told me that it should settle down once I have driven it a bit. What is your experiance? Other people have said that it may settle a lil bit but thats pretty much how she is gunna sit. I put low kings in front and rear (all new) that were ment to drop her an even 2 inches. At the moment its annoying me as I realy liked the rake it had on the standard set of springs. I kinda dont even care how low it is, i just wanted to fill up the arch as I could fit my head in the gap before swapping them. Should I take them back and go for super lows in the front? To be honnest as it is sitting the front hasnt gone down the 2" but the rear certainly has.......

2. Exhaust: I have one guy quoting me the same price for a 2 1/2 system as I do another guy for a 2 1/4. The 2 1/2 guy is experianced in the HQ racing class and rekons that the 2 1/2' system will be better. I just want a healthy note.....I dont want a super loud drone in the car sitting on a tonne and I dont want to sound like im a V8 wannabe too. Thoughts?

Once the brakes are on, ill driver to get an exhaust, then driv her to tyre shop.....them boom! rolling

• 3 weeks later...

Opened thread, read first line. Prepared jaw for impact with the floor

Jaw dropped. Damn that's gorgeous.

I wanna go put my hotwires on now

I personally would go with lower in the front to match the rear

(What tyre size did you end up with?)

KK had part numbers in his thread for dobi springs that dropped the front a fair bit (but then he modified them further)

That being said, looks awsome as is!

Edit: Copied from my discussion thread as posted by KK

edit - here you go - get them from BnT - you being in the trade should get you a good discount.

They arn't as low as the tagline suggests (EXTRA SUPER LOW!!!) but they are about 4 inches lower than stock (I've added a photo between stock and low - before I cut the half coil off the front)

78-93 Commodore VB-VP Sedan (LARS) Extra SuperLow

C21-084V Super Low Coil Spring

C21-071V Super Low Coil Spring

Oh are you coming to Nats??

If so YAY! Looking forward to seeing this IRL

If not, Why not? Come nats

:)

Opened thread, read first line. Prepared jaw for impact with the floor

Jaw dropped. Damn that's gorgeous.

I wanna go put my hotwires on now

Me personally would go with lower in the front to match the rear

(What tyre size did you end up with?)

KK had part numbers in his thread for dobi springs that dropped the front a fair bit (but then he modified them further)

That being said, looks awsome as is!

Oh are you coming to Nats??

If so YAY! Looking forward to seeing this IRL

If not, Why not? Come nats

:)

Yeah Im stoked with it. I have a 2 1/2 exhaust on and it, she has had a scope up her and been on the dyno. She sounds perfect. Nice healthy (not trying to sound like an 8, no drone but a good deep rumble under load. The 202 feels like a rockship compared to the ol starfire! I have low king springs throughout but will need to roll the gards and am thinking of nipping a lil off the front at this stage. I dont expect the front to drop much more in the next couple of days. To my supprise I ended up on 195/65/14's. Mainly due room and since the car pisses 80's, i thought 50 series might be too low and personally the stretch look on older cars isn't my favorite.

At this stage Nats might be a push as I am on a bloody hard out course atm. I just passed my last exam on the principals of helicopter flight......complicated shit! I will however be up on the weekend of the 28th of march with work if anything is on.

I have done some interior work too....will put up the full shabang on the weekend.

If you want your vacc advance rebuilt then send it to these guys.

http://www.qualityrebuilds.com/home.aspx

It's not an absolute necessity to run vacc advance though.

Cheers K-trips, will give em a call tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been shopping!

So....... have had an intermitant spooling up sound coming from my trimatic when going from drive into park. Have also had it once when coasting around a corner, applying drive and getting a short pulse/increase in RPM without any drive, then she is sweet as. suspecting torque converter.....but  i dont know shit about transmitions....so who knows.

Anyway, I just brought a Borg Warner 5 speed manual box with flywheel,shifter and clutch for $50!!!!! legend go's, it was off a VK with a starfire and ran well. It has been sat in a shed for the past four years. I will most likely take it in to get the bearings and seals checked as well as a general check over. If all is well then chicken dinner. If not, off to the scrappy.

So im pretty sure.....and please correct me if I am wrong. All i need is a clutch cable and pedal box? No master required, my current xmember should work and apprently the trans will bolt up to a 202. Add fluids....do skids?

Not 100% about the speedo though.

I honestly thought that I just had to put the hoops and rear bumper on, car auido in and cert ......... Commy says no......glad I didnt get it certed just yet though.

skids

four cylinder and six cylinders gearboxes are slightly different.

I believe the rear extension housing and rear mount are differnt on the Starfire box as the shifter sits a lot further back to compensate for its mounting position in the car compared to the siX.

Also the gearbox x member varys between the 4 and 6

Also the four cylinder driveshaft is shorter that the six

But yes pedal box and cable are needed

Should be a hole in your Fire wall that's blanked off.

Edit: I think 1st to 4th ratios vary

Will check my books for you tomorrow

Seen,

I still have my 4 cycl drive shaft and x member from the auto set-up that the car came with. Do u think that will fit? Or will I have to get them modified? I think the 6 cycl drive shaft is a bigger diameter though.

Will crack into some research. Cheers for the heads up though.

Nope they are the same box, the difference is the internal ratios. I fitted my Starfire box to the 202 and just had to fit a 6 cyl driveshaft which is shorter.

Good to know. So then im just going to need a new speedo gear then?

Hoiw did it run? I take it that the 4cycl box has shorter ratios?

Thanks mate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Looking awesome!!!  :-D

10/10 agree with you on removing steering column, I left it in when I removed my pedal box out of the starfire at Zebra.... such mares.

I still can't get over the fact that you scored the gearbox and clutch etc for $50, not even the warehouse can give you bargains like that!

And the fan is looking mint!, I just bought a new alloy one as mine is leaking, have yet to put it in though, very keep on going thermo fan. What are the specs/ set up regarding yours? 

Here is the box from the fan controll unit. I opted for an adjustable one due to advise from people that know more about it I and just so I can get the old girl running at her fav temp. Wiring it was very easy. Consisted of +/-, acc's, the temp sensor that comes with it, the fan and the overide wiring. The override is optional but I was keen to have a back up option. Everything you need inc terminal connections come in the box.

h2mic4gl.d1k.jpg

I have thrown out my fan box inc specs...... but I got all this stuff from proparts at the manfield swap meet a couple of weeks back. It is a 16" fan, is very quite and grunty. The guy said people fit them to V8's with no drama so I should be fine.

I think the controller was $90 and the fan $70?.... the oldscool guys got me pretty drunk after the swap meet with a drinking game that I was terrible at......so deets are a lil scarce around swap meet time :(

• Like 1

Lil update on my starfire flywheel findings. An old salt told me to run a starfire flywheel on the borg warner regardless if I end up running a 6 or 4 cyl box......and tbh is the only one i had.

I didnt end up weighing it but the Commy is running bloody sweet with it in. She is reving nicely to 5500rpm at the moe but the power starts dropping off around 4500. She is still pulling but not as hard. She didnt realy like 4k with the trimatic in so its a massive increase. Also im rolling 100kms in with with 2200rpm in fith gear. Win!

So my advise to anyone would be to roll a starfire flywheel if you can.