Terminal220's 1982 VH SL/E sedan

Terminal220

I had 202 with extractors and ran the 4 cyl exhaust from the collector back to the tailpipe until I went 308. I wouldn't bother changing it until you have the extra funds/if at all.

That was my thinking. I will still run the SL/E exhaust system as it is bigger than my four pop system and it looks like if has a less restrictive muffler on it. My current tail pipe looks like a pee shooter too.  Bolting the whole thing up will suit me  as i wont have to cut or weld seeing as though I will be removing the Diff, axel and rear discs.

Cheers for the input.....i didnt know if I was just trying to save money. Ill spend the money on springs insted!

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Week Three:

Front hanger and power steering pump is off prept and painted.

Carb and inlet Manifold is off......Bloody hell, sooo many hoses!! they certainly ran that through the complicated machine!! I had to label everything as I will intially fit the oem manifold and carb so I can drive it down to Ross Kilda to do the exhaust work as well as fit and tune the new Carb and inlet manifold at the same time.

After a little research, the genral vibe is that a  2 1/4 system with a free flow muffler all the way up to the Y join of the manifold is very close to what extractors will produce. Apprently the 12 port 202's had a pretty good exhaust manifold on them stock...... Will see as I can always blot a set on if I realy want to..... most likely wont.

New rims and rubber are purchased......getting close now!

Next mission will be running a wire from my Coil to the dash to run my sweet sweet tacho.....see ya later vac guage!

So all I have to do is remove the Disy and fuel pump to make it ready for the removal of the 202 and trans next weekend. Lads and crane are booked, mother in-law is taking the kid and beers and bangers are purchased......conditions are perfect!

ghiq4dfd.qnl.jpg

So the motor and trans are out. Will take it to work next week and get is degreased and steam cleaned. Then its gasket swap and paint. After that i need to remove the K frame, clean up the calipers, remove the diff....... clean and POR15 the shit out of everything, then its install time.

One thing of note......the sump of the trans was full of a chewed up gasket. It wasnt the sump gasket, so have no idea where that is from and how much of an issue it is. The trans ran sooth as shark shit before so i dont think its anthing major..... but somthings not right. Any ideas? The sump gasket is cork and this is part of what was in the sump of the trans.

4uq12kqt.gcf.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So,

everything is out of my donor car except the diff, rear discs, rear hubs etc. Will have that squared away sometime next week. Motor and trans have been steam cleaned and wire wheeled and is now ready for a re gasket and paint.

Will take the rear diff assembly and the K frame complete with power steering rack, front discs etc to work to get them steam cleaned. Will drop a few bits and bobs inc front and rear disc callipers into the Paragon bath.......then boom POR15 time.

Have brought new low King springs, water pump and thermostat housing, Holley 350cfm carb, free flow manifold, trans service kit and engine mounts, so once all my shit is clean.......it will be swap time, cant wait!!

Oh and I just picked these up today. Brought them from a funeral home. They had been on one of their hearses but they decided to "upgrade". It's pretty cool to know that people are dying to go for a ride on these rims.......Ba dom chhh!

bzw5bena.gnc.jpg

Once all this is on, it will be time to tweak the cosmetics. Will fit the rear fender and tail light extensions as well as the tacho from my donor car. Then i think i will stop there and see if I want to proceede any further. Will most likely leave it there...

• 1 month later...

Major stumbling block today!

Everything is prept, painted and ready for installation except for my motor! when I stripped the motor I noticed a fair bit of play in my crank shaft. Checked the book and found the max play on the horozontal axis is around 0.28mm.........I have at least 4mm.

The investigation begins, Caps off.....bugger! Mains down to the copper, thrust coozed, cam lobes scored, and two pistons move up and down waaaay too easy and still need to measure the crank.......F*&K! So looks like im up for a complete rebuild or roll the dice and source another 202.

So if anyone out there knows of a good 202 at a good price let me know. Have sent out for the quote for the rebuild and am pretty sure she is gunna be waaay outta my budget.

So gutted as I would have been doing the re gasket and paint of the motor this weekend. Was all geared up for a labour day weekend swap of motor,trans,diff, discs, suspension, power steering and the fitting of the new wheels proptly followed up by skids.......boo!!

I have a 202 out of an HZ which I drove from Ohakune to Hamilton.

It's a complete long block with only the manifolds and ancillaries removed.

It drove beautifully and is much better than the 186 in my wagon. I'll try and compression test it.

You can have it for $50 if the test results are good.

Cheers mate...thats awesome!

I start a pretty intense course in Jan and was hoping to have this all done and dusted by xmas so I can focus on that. This bump in the road has the potential to mess with those plans. I take it that its a red one? Already thinking of if my manifolds etc will fit it.

I should get the quote back for the rebuild next week. Part of me is tempted if its not too crazy. Im thinking if i was to build it medium spec it will probably be good for decades....but im pretty sure the cost wont be worth it fuel/power/effortwise.

Thanks again

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it's a red 202.

Your engine is a black 12 port, so the manifolds etc won't fit my engine.

There's a fully reconditioned 12 port black 202 on trademe for $890.

Hmmmm....... I cant seem to find it. I can see a guy who wants $1K just for a head though.

Was just lookin into what i can do with regard to red and black hybrids. Looks like it can be done

Oh and another thing about my black motor. I found heaps of hard plastic in my sump........turns out that it was my old timing gear. The motor has alley timing gear on it now, but the rough buggers didnt even give it an oil change or clean it out once it ate the old nylon set. So maybe they are kinda bullet proof...just this one took an RPG to the face!

• Like 1

Actually, my old foremans father had a black 202 he pulled from a car. I'll see if I can find the number.

I think it was a good runner but one valve spring was a bit weak.

What sort of $$$ were you looking at spending on one? I can ring him and see if he got it /offer him money if 3ontrees option is not what you want

Cheers for the offers of help and investigation fellas,

I am hunting the interwed for a 12 port 202 like the clappers....

Thanks three on a tree for the bargin offer on the red! For now i might try a short hunt for a 12 port, mainly due to the carb, intake and exhaust setup I have patently waiting to be installed. I cant muck around too long though as I need this in by xmas. Will take you up on the offer for red if I have no luck.

Shakotom, that would be great. As far as price, just ask him what he wants. Trademe seems to ebb and flow with regard to price. When i was hunting at the start (three months ago), $300 brought you a nice running blue with headders, but this week most want $400 for a red long block.

I tried asking him a price when I was gonna buy it (pre Rb swap) it was still in his car at the time but he said make an offer. And I don't like spending others money with out an idea of what they've got to spend.

(He's doing ls1 VK)

Only thing is if it's still around, it's up here in auckland.

That being said, I've lost the hit of paper that used to be in toolbox.

Will ask around for number and ring him once you give a vague $ figure tange

I have been trying to get to a computer for some time (in order to post trademe links) and finally found one.

Here are some options which I think are good value for money:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=794766220

I can go and test this engine for you. It also comes with a Trimatic transmission, which you could sell for $50-$150 to recoup some costs.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=792710872

Another 12 port 3.3, pretty reasonably priced too.

Both will do the job, but unsure on their respective conditions without inspecting.

As has been suggested, a 12 port head swap onto an earlier 9 port (red) block is straightforward. Simply use the 12 port headgasket as a template, lay it on the 9 port block and drill two water jacket holes.

But as you've probably already concluded, it would be easiest to stick with a 3.3 (12 port) engine and go from there.

I was looking at that black one with trans for $350 3oat, I have spoken to the guy today about it and he is sending me some pics tomorrow. It sounds like it could be OK, he said that it could be seen going and that it was still in a car if I wanted to arrage someone to view it. So $350 inc trans seems like a good price. Plus this it is the "heavy duty" trans that came with the injected ones too......might be better than the one I have?

I am in the Air force and often have friends making the trip to Ohakea. So all i need is to get it to Whenuapai and ill be able to arrange for it to get down no prob. The guy is in Ranui..... am currently calling in a few favors too see if I can get someone out there.....That knows anything about motors, will see how i go. 3oat, where are you in Auckland? is Ranui very far from your place of abode? You are a bloody generous man with your time for someone you dont even know.......i would like to buy you a beer some time.