Terminal220's 1982 VH SL/E sedan

Terminal220

No worries Mate, I'm just happy to see people working on older Holdens.

I stay about half an hour from Ranui but can take a look at the engine, mainly because I think I qualify as being reasonably clued up on these engines haha.

That engine/trans combo is a great deal, pictures of it won't really tell you much so try and arrange a time for it to be viewed.

I'm free weeknights and weekends (except this labour weekend).

• Like 2

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so I may have found a suitable 202 candidate for the slx. Its a red 202 with a yella terra head, holley 2 barrel and headders. Its misssing a disy and alternator (no prob for me) but it is nicley dressed with chrome side, rocker and oil pump covers. I know the shiney dont really matter but its a nice lil perk. 

I cant see it running as it is still in a rusty old belmont. My question is this......what would you guys reccomend as things to check before handing over the notes? My thoughts are that you arnt really going to know untill you open it up if its not running.....is that pretty much right?

I will be able to sell off the headders, head, carb and shiney bits to get my money back if it turns out that its stuffed, but would rather set myself up to get a goodie and bypass all the wheeling a dealing if I could.

Any tips would be ace.

OK, so I may have found a suitable 202 candidate for the slx. Its a red 202 with a yella terra head, holley 2 barrel and headders. Its misssing a disy and alternator (no prob for me) but it is nicley dressed with chrome side, rocker and oil pump covers. I know the shiney dont really matter but its a nice lil perk. 

I cant see it running as it is still in a rusty old belmont. My question is this......what would you guys reccomend as things to check before handing over the notes? My thoughts are that you arnt really going to know untill you open it up if its not running.....is that pretty much right?

I will be able to sell off the headders, head, carb and shiney bits to get my money back if it turns out that its stuffed, but would rather set myself up to get a goodie and bypass all the wheeling a dealing if I could.

Any tips would be ace.

If there's still a working starter motor bolted to it, turn it over with a battery and compression test it.

Hook an oil pressure gauge up to it if possible, these things often have very worn oil pumps.

Check the condition of the timing gears if possible by removing the timing cover (some disassembly required), they ran fibre timing gears as standard which can fail due to age. They strip their teeth.

Pull the sideplate covers and rocker cover off and check how filthy it is in there, mainly large sludgy deposits etc.

Not sure if you're going to rebuild it but also have a look at the frost plugs, specifically those in the head behind the manifolds. They're often forgotten about due to access issues and might be badly corroded.

As per previous comments, the claim of a Yella Terra (YT) head means absolutely nothing. There is generally no way of telling if it is a YT head as they were based on standard heads modified to specific modification stages. Some of the earlier YT heads had some specific differences but it would be highly unlikely that those crucial identifying features would still be present. Treat the engine as a regular 202 with some chrome and a 2 barrel Holley.

Cheers fellas,

Apprently the guy got it going today. So I have sourced a guage and will compression test it as well as listen for anything dodgy tomorrow. When I first saw it, i checked the crank pulley movement and couldnt feel any horozonal movement so its got one up on my old black motor. The guy rekons he rebuilt it 70,000kms ago and is digging up recipts. He has also agreed for me to take it home to remove some parts to make sure its A. all good and B. so I can maybe confirm if the head is legit.

Will keep yall posted on progress.

• Like 1

Sounds like a top bloke.

The fact that he's letting you take it away and pull it apart makes him seem like a genuine seller.

Will he let you remove the head? Then you can check for the YT valves.

Also, remove the intake/exhaust manifolds and post up some pictures of the intake and exhaust ports.

Yeah will do, those links you put up were very helpful.

Ill start with the manifolds and if I see the difference in ports, I may keep the head as it is.......If not, ill dig a bit deeper.

Compression tested it today with a solid 10 on all  six cylinders. It was nice and quite with no rattles or dodgy sounds. Oil was clean as and didnt smell burnt or stinky. He rekons he swaped out the timing gear with an alloy set when he rebuilt it.....will see once its out. Unfortunately we were unable to get it out today but have it scheduled in for removal this sunday.

I told the guy that I would take it as soon as we confirm the head. We will do that when we remove it from the belmont seeing as though we will remove the manifolds then anyway. A good sign is that he told me what to look for i.e Dowels in the ports, polished ports and YT on the valve stems......so he seems legit, due to the fact if I dont see that when we remove it he has wasted his sunday morning.

I couldnt test the oil pump but I have one from my buggard black one that works well that I can swap out if need be. Ill also have the alloy timing gear, est disy etc as spares. Im guessing all that I will have to do is put my sump and ring gear on it after I have removed the flywheel....... clean, gasket and paint.

So he wants $400 for the motor, carb, redline inlet manifold, power steering pump and headders. Not too bad im thinking.

• Like 1

Good news!

I got the motor (fist pump).Am 99% sure that it is a Yella terra head,  but it certainly has alloy timing gear and been recently rebuilt.

A friend and I (with a lil help of heineken) worked past midnight and ripped off all the parts less rocker cover, stripped and cleaned it back to bear metal in prep for paint. All I have to do is fit the front oil pickup, replace the crank seal and crank pulley, re gasket and it will time to paint. Bloody stoked!

hus0pcjg.gsp.jpg

c1dp0fat.3vh.jpg

Everything about this motor is adding up as it has been disassembled too. It was insanley clean behind the timing cover and up in around the mains and crank. There is no movement on the crank, cam looks clean and undamaged, timing gear looks new. Oil in the engine is nice (no globs of poop or bad smell). The head has the dowels in the intake ports as well as them being pollished. Took a peek and she has dual valve springs too. That paired with the higher compression of 10bar opposed to 8.8 from factory all point towards it anyway. I wont bother taking the head off to check the valve stems as the gasket is good and I kinda cant be arsed.

With regard to the oil pickup......seems interesting that the commy mount is too the No3 main..... but ahh well...what do I know?

Also when putting the crank pulley back on, do you just give it a tap with a dead mallet?

Anyway....hopefully the next pic I put up will be of it painted and fully dressed prior to sawp day. My course starts in Jan so the clock is ticking.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...