Ben's 1987 Dirty30 VL Royale

f100_dreamin

When I converted my Firebird to Manual I used a Howe racing Hydraulic release bearing (not recommended, I've blown the O rings out of it once already) and used flexible braided lines. These were routed out through the hole for the clutch fork, The bleed nipple is outside the bell housing and makes it easy to bleed up.

The down side to the hydraulic bearing is if it fails the gearbox has to come out. if you are unlucky the clutch gets covered in oil. The upside is they are perfect if you dont have space or like me don't like the cross bars and linkages on LHD cars.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I've been doing a bit of research and have found this kit.

http://www.rwdmotorsport.com/toyota-w-series-dw56-hydraulic-release-bearing-kit.html

It's around $270nzd plus freight, so not as bad as I was expecting. I've emailed them an found out that the compressed length is 47mm and expanded length is 57mm so need to get the flywheel, clutch fitted to the engine then fit the box and do some measuring.

In the meantime, a mate has a cable pedal box, and I'm just waiting on confirmation of a cable from another mate, so may run that to begin with.

I used a quartermaster 721-100 after reading of the dramas with the howe bearings.  Its behind my 1uz and, touch wood, has been hassle free for 40000 kms of crawling down SH2 in wellington traffic.

I got this kit when it was still a reasonable price http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.aspx?id=864089094  but you can import yourself for not too much if you shop around

Ok I've tracked down a clutch cable which I should have by the end of the month (these are getting real hard to get now, they don't make them new anymore, and every old Holden wrecker I rang told me i was pushing shit uphill)

A mate of mine has the Pedal box I need, so I think for now I'm going to use that an will look at a concentric slave setup later down the track,

A mate of mine made me a custom fire extinguisher for the car so am pretty stoked with that

D47B37BD-9C7D-44A4-821E-15100246C04D_zps

If anyone is interested in something similar flick me a pm an I'll pass your details on to him

And it was my birthday a couple of weeks ago and my in laws got me a $100 Repco gift card, so I bought a fusion head unit and put that in today, not a bad little unit it has no CD player so is quite small, will play radio (which the old headunit didn't) and will play/charge my iPhone, so all sorted.

23489763-B047-467F-A414-4CA00C355A11_zps

All in all we are heading in the right direction,

Am contemplating buying a VN loom an ecu, as they are much simpler than the VS stuff I've got, which means I'll be able to wire it in myself. But will see, if I keep the VS stuff then I'll be getting a sparky mate to do it, but I'd like to say I did everything myself so will see where I end up

Anyway, cheers for all the interest/ideas/info etc, it all helps with my motivation haha

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted some VN bonnet struts yesterday. Cost a massive $32 from zebra (even better that a mate grabbed them so zero effort was required on my behalf)

Click for video:

th_98D00CBD-6EAC-4F43-8796-D6FE659653A6_

Yes I know, they are upside down in the video, was pointed out to me yesterday so will remedy that the next time I'm out at the car

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Still here, still plodding along collecting parts,

ABFA7C2F-C79E-4443-9A72-2A4C3671184B_zps

Got all the bushes an ball joints for the front subframe/lower arms etc will press the old ones out, get everything blasted then dropped off for powder coating, then will re-install all new bushes.

Other than that just slowly chipping away at the parts required list before I take it off the road and make it more fun.

• 6 months later...

So found this hiding on page 3.

The bushes on the above post have all been fitted to the V8 k frame, decided against powdercoating the subframe and arms as realistically the only time it will get seen is when I roll the bloody car haha.

Anyway took the family to Kumeu in this, and my wife decided it was too fumey which made her nauseous and that it was going to be her last drive in it until the V8 was installed (because that will be less fumey - tui ad right there) so while there are no pictures in this post, following posts should include photos actual work occurring on this thing, with a goal of having everything in and running by the end of April

• Like 1

Just read this whole thread. Keep up the good work. I'm a Falcon driver but I don't mind the look of the VL Commie. Borrowed a V8 one off my Dr once to pull a heavy tandem axle transporter. Went bloody well. I was most impressed with it. Pulled 80-130 in fifth gear to pass a slow car like the trailer wasn't even there. Clutch was mega heavy, race spec gearbox felt clunky, and the cam was so wild it wouldn't do 50 in fourth gear so second and third round town but I could easily live with that for the V8 coolness factor.

Made a start tonight, got the radiator and ancillaries off the motor, got the boys coming round tomorrow so will hopefully end up with the motor and maybe even the trans out

Anyway pics to prove I actually did something

9EB3E772-E8A8-43E9-B329-CF9D71FD4365_zps

C9E8F228-88F3-47A8-A43D-1EABDC5071C8_zps

Ended up with this pile of parts (plus the radiator and shroud)

9518FEC1-011D-4FD8-AC39-28A082953B33_zps

Chur

• Like 2

So the boys came round last night, very productive evening, got the motor and trans out, pushed the car out turned it around and then removed the K Frame too.

2A5E990C-2FD2-4169-B439-AD3CCADB1986_zps

D84BE527-268B-4E36-9D3D-EA367E4CE8E5_zps

E65B0D36-D2AF-4C8A-8C69-A76556F7BE2A_zps

5C4D0A5B-3EDB-403F-86D3-8BA510370F8C_zps

A136B954-0CB7-4FBA-8137-5BD303B318F5_zps

6EEC3C06-A599-423E-A266-5B02D35453B6_zps

85161FBD-F558-44F3-A150-8B99BA39846A_zps

Now I'm going to spend a bit of time tidying the engine bay, will replace the booster and master cylinder. Fit the new k frame and Waterblast/degrease the engine, workout what to do with the fuel lines as they are currently half way down the chassis rail but need to be run up the firewall. I need to do some research on how my cruise control works in the car/see if I can run it with the v8 and if I can I'm going to try run it inside the guard to help tidy up the engine bay. And also look into setting up a/c as the car has it factory so would love to keep it

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another Wednesday boys night has seen more progress an a slight deviation from the original plan

First up got these installed

F969300B-6B75-410F-92D1-24E1A3C2AE92_zps

This is where the deviation came into play, what you can't see is that these pedals are a hydraulic set, the cable pedal box I had been planning on using, for one reason or another just would not go in the car. So the decision was made to bite the bullet, and go with a concentric slave setup.

With the engine out and the pedal box in process, the VS plastic booster and VT master cylinder was fitted, just need to get a set of single to double flare adapters from Aussie now, no pics but they would be boring any way

With that done, we waterblasted the engine bay, which meant it was time for this:

906A7249-24B2-4032-9125-CB42A680DDD7_zps

EDA2B803-AAC7-4F3E-AADC-FF276FC93936_zps

15708986-5827-459D-8AA1-73BF179724BA_zps

Pretty stoked, need to get the car up now so I can put the gearbox in and work out the measurements for the slave setup. Am actually happy that my hand was forced as I had planned to do this eventually. It will come at the cost that I'll probably end up doing the wiring myself but at least when it's done I can take pride that I did everything myself at least!!

Any way, cheers for reading

• Like 8

Small update, put the gearbox in so I can work a few bits and pieces out, xmember is going to be a simple job. Got the measurement for the driveshaft so will be able to get that sent off to beattys driveshafts in the next couple of weeks. Just waiting to see what measurements I need to work out which slave cylinder I'll need.

The shifter will need a bit of work however, it sits quite far forward so will have to put a couple of bends into it to make it work

D306D0FE-BDD6-4058-BB59-EA8E62C821FE_zps

9BB65B49-EDE9-404A-89E5-FAFF0B5D7D44_zps

Also found out that the battery tray will need to be removed to allow clearance for the p/s pump. So looks like I'll have to put that in the boot. Again not something I had planned to do but my hand has been forced.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So one of the jobs I was least looking forward to was the wiring, but I've made a start on it.

First up was to rifle through all the manuals at work until I found the one I wanted (actually a VR commodore one but VR/VS is the same). I then found the V8 PCM wiring diagram and photocopied it (so I could draw on it haha)

I removed all the auto trans wiring first No pics but I'm sure you can imagine a pile of unwanted wiring on the ground.

Next was to start identifying the power in from the efi relay, constant battery, and ignition. The ECU output to the fuel relay. Confirm the ECU earths. And lastly work out the instrument cluster signal wires.

3918744B-39DC-4B87-AA73-D12D3E89A450_zps

Next up will be to find the applicable wires in the VLs loom and join everything!

• Like 2