f100_dreamin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still need to build an exhaust as that is open headers haha,

Still need to sort the concentric slave cylinder setup, get driveshaft made, buy an ignition module (as the one I'm using is a test one from work), thermo fan and wiring, reseal p/s pump, drive belts, battery bracket, driveshaft loops, front brake upgrade (have got a pair of v8 callipers so just need rotors, wheel bearings and pads)

Aside from the driveshaft and clutch parts it's all Mainly just small stuff,

Am on track for my self imposed deadline

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, 

on the home straight now, made a gearbox crossmember, 

73484FE7-F847-44F7-920F-6B074C51E330_zps

got all my V8 front brake parts

5EB0932E-2E4D-4766-A31D-0B635F7001AB_zps

Got my concentric slave cylinder (I know Kiwibirdman didnt reccomend Howe racing, but after a lenghty conversation with the supplier i decided to take the risk)

0B6428E8-2B76-4DA6-9069-928749A42FD5_zps

Got an adapter to go from the VL master cylinder to the braided line for the slave cylinder, 

8C9E9361-2A08-4DDD-8278-49B746F98D28_zps

Took a perfectly good bellhouse and made a hole for the bleed line, 

F631C051-906A-4E8B-A18E-B45F1704211A_zps

made some measurement to ensure the correct  clearance between the clutch presure plate release bearing and fitted everything up, 

9356A6BB-C405-41AF-964E-DE65B14B084F_zps

Gearbox is now in the car (hopefully for the last time)

Also picked up my driveshaft from Beattys, no picture of that but im sure you can all imagine what a long black shaft looks like,

all in all, progressing nicely!!

• Like 3

So I got the brake line adapters to go from the VT master cylinder to VL lines from Stirling brake and clutch up here in dorkland,

Fitted:

46B7DAFE-6751-4BAD-8B9D-8EB2B63EE5D3_zps

No gravity fed leaks as yet!!

I then decided to do the rest of the V8 brake upgrade

Old 270mm setup

BDA4B7AE-6C8F-44E7-ABE2-3C8CC6B58FC1_zps

New:

3565D29C-399E-4405-9CF0-A273A60BEC03_zps

Just needs to be bled up now. Apparently the 290mm V8 calliper and rotors with the VS booster and VT master, is a great upgrade over the shitty non turbo 6 cyl 270mm setup which is good because it was scarily bad haha

Hopefully will find the motivation tomorrow night to re kit the p/s pump and mount that and the lines.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

So after throwing the gearbox back in I realised quickly there was going to be an issue!

th_5EDF8389-EE05-43E8-88B3-A491CD4ABB42_

(Click to play video)

Unfortunately the fittings that came with the concentric slave fouled on the pressure plate,

I looked at a few options for this but decided in the end that having the lines remade with a 45 degree fitting was the best way (plus it meant I didn't have to take the gearbox back out)

Fast forward a week or two every thing is fitted and we have clearance

A4AEF817-FBD4-4A7C-8C47-55D03A1ADE9C_zps

All that's left now is to rebuild and fit the P/S pump, mate the exhaust up, source and fit heater hoses, and sort out a thermo fan!

SO CLOSE!!!

• Like 3

Picture less update (lame I know)

P/S pump is done and mounted lines all plumbed and system is bled, exhaust is joined but is actually too quiet.

Just need to modify the shifter, and refit the centre console, buy and fit heater hoses and a radiator fan then it's drive time!!

5/8ths of fuck all left!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so have been finishing up a few of the little jobs while I waiting to get the last big pieces.

Bought a flywheel cover off J.E.D (via trademe) probably paid too much but they don't seem to come up that often. Had to make a small modification to make it fit but it's on now,

3A9B47E2-B12D-49A7-AC1E-5F5820881057_zps

As I mentioned earlier I got the p/s pump fitted, here's proof

96D6B8D2-42A1-4540-94A3-BA234803683D_zps

Modified the shifter, it's pretty ugly but it works, got all the trim back on looks good and the shifter pretty much came out in the factory position.

F18A1C3B-6427-4D95-9066-FF4A18868E98_zps

As mentioned the exhaust is a bit quiet.

th_7C4BFD40-B2D4-4AD4-8B7C-6F2871485F73_

Chucked a 20" rim on to see how it looked, I like it but the tyre is way too big/it's hard against the spring perch on the strut

2D1C0006-7CBB-4FA4-B6C2-4D5A161508EF_zps

Took the car outside and gave it a wash as it hadn't been washed since January,

A1C608BF-1764-4E83-98FF-FB9B90E953EA_zps

And lastly I let my impatience get the better of me, as of late it's been misfiring and coughing a bit, likely from the plugs fouling because of all the short running times the engine has operated in due to the lack of cooling system (just running up in the garage for testing a few things etc)

I looped the heater hoses, put the radiator hoses on, filled an bled the cooling system and took the car for a hoon around my local area. Cough cough "To erm clean the plugs"

Such a blast to be able to drive it after all the work I've put in so far. Makes a great noise, louder than expected, pulls cleanly, backfires a bit of you get get on an off the gas while cruising,

It did however breakdown within about 200m of home, luckily it just turned out to be the coil to dizzy HT lead had fallen off the coil, slapped it back on and back in business

Will post a video shortly when photobucket stops sucking dick

• Like 6

Monroe does shocks with a taller spring perch off the shelf for 19" or larger rims on the small commys. I pissed around with vk's thru to VE's now still love the early models especially the vl calais the nose is so staunch.

Be quiet thomas haha,

All research points to 225/30/20 being the go, (not sure about the 235 though) having a higher spring perch would mean having to change springs too, perfect world i would just chuck coilovers in, but im not,

am still waiting to see what the boss wants for the wheels anyway, he may want more than im actually willing to spend and if that the case, ill stick with the 18s haha,

oh and for some reason i cant get the video to upload to photobucket, so will try another video which is fromt he missuses snapchat and is basically 1990s spec quality,

Haven't seen those Monroe units in person they may have just changed the shape of the perch for the gain in clearance i was offered them as an option when ordering mine. If your running 20" inch wheels its going to be higher anyway so spring compressing to sort that would be on cards.

20s suck balls for flat spotting and cracking if you use your car on nz potholed roads with super low profile tyres.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So no major updates to announce, still need to sort a cooling fan. Have been driving it on small drives here an there. Much enjoyment has been obtained!

First off to tidy up the interior, when I got my manual surround the rubber boot was split. Instead of spending $60 for a factory type boot I spent $18 at Supercheap andb bought a universal leather boot. Modified it to fit and ended up with this

2DC15D45-3327-4D57-9FD7-0551DA3A812E_zps

In the car

57C431BE-C46D-4893-A601-FA182B61ADAD_zps

In an effort to make the car more enjoyable I decided to get the electric windows sorted since buying the car I've only had two windows working, however there was no way I was paying $350 for a remanufactured VL switch. So I found the wiring diagram for a VY switch, managed to get a plug and loom from one of our suppliers for free and made an adapter loom

A2BB67B6-5033-4F5A-BD56-C731020D36A5_zps

scored a free window switch from the workshop foreman, and hey presto all four Windows work!

As it happened I had a spare centre console that was from a manual window car so I cut a hole fitted the switch, I ended up having to space the centre console up to give a bit of extra clearance for the switch,

here's it in the centre console:

0868FFF4-0862-4DAA-93C8-B1EF7459BCB7_zps

And in the car:

0B3C26EE-E90E-46D5-B3C4-B15C762C2776_zps

As you can see having the centre console spaced up also allows the gear boot to sit nicer too

One of the other things that hadn't worked since I bought the car was the boot release button in the glovebox, did some digging around in the boot and hey what do you know, found a loose wire tangled in with the trailer plug wiring. Plugged it in,

397C1FBA-BB28-44DA-9CD8-FF8B534445B2_zps

pressed the button an hey presto again it also works!! Tidied the wiring up and routed it back in the factory position,

Only little wins, but wins none the less. Central locking is the next task but I may end up putting an aftermarket system in as the factory one isn't the greatest

It has however broken down on my recently, have had an issue with the King lead from the coil to the dizzy coming off the coil. Unfortunately this has caused the coil to die. So need to replace that and get a cooling fan sorted so I can drive it more haha

• Like 5

Replaced the coil, turns out my ignition module is dead too which is a bugger. So I'll send that off to be repaired this week.

I bought a radiator fan and shroud from Fenix and installed that, very happy with how it looks. Here it is mocked up in the engine bay

EFDAF142-3ECB-43EB-8287-4D81D0B924B9_zps

have wired it up to run straight off the ignition while I decide how I'm going to run a controller for it. I need to decide between getting a boss welded into the radiator tank so I can run a thermo fan switch, or whether to get and adjustable external fan controller

Here's a video to prove it works (yeah ok I'm sure you have all seen a fan going)

So the car is now finally in a position to be used for some cruising

Still have a few jobs I need to do but only to improve the car/prepare it for cert

-heater hoses

-thermofan control

-driveshaft loops

-make it a bit more vocal (just a more open rear muffler)

-would like to put a set of gillys on it too.