Ben's 1987 Dirty30 VL Royale

f100_dreamin

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well took this old pig out for a decent drive at the weekend, even dared to take the wife and kids. Mechanically it ran fantastically (which is great as the wife wouldn't have let me live it down if we have broken down) but we did have an electrical gremlin rear its head. Everytime you put your foot on the brake the fuel gauge would drop to empty, at the same time all four indicators would glow and if you were indicating and pressing the brake nothing would go.

Had a look into it tonight, thought it may have been to do with the old trailer plug wiring causing an issue with a power/earth cross feed as if you disconnected the rear light harness the problem would go away, so removed the trailer plug wiring to eliminate it, but there was no change, next up I tested the taillight harness so see if there was an issue in that but again no issues could be found there. So I traced the loom from the boot forwards and found a large plug in the drivers A pillar, a wiggle of the plug and hey presto taillights now work correctly. So I've cleaned and re-tensioned all the terminals and made sure the plug is securely connected. All seems to be working well so hopefully this remedies the issue I've been having.

I've also wired in a diagnostic plug I just need to check the pin outs to see which wire the 12v feed goes to then I should be able to use the tech1 from work and check why i have a check engine light on (suspect O2 or no speed signal from trans), and also so I can put the car into diag mode and can set the timing, guys at work think I should be able to set a base timing of around 12 degrees which should help increase the responsiveness

• 2 months later...