BlownCoronas Cyclecar

BlownCorona

You need to read some books

Race car chassis - Design and construction by Forbes Aird is one I would recommend.

It's easy to read and has plenty of real world advice that you really need. This book will explain in layman's terms how you design a chassis (even a simple one) taking into account the loads that said chassis will experience. 

After that maybe Tune to win by Carrol Smith. This book will help you understand the basics of suspension and steering systems. 

Nothing you've done thus far is safe or functional. Harsh but true.

I mean even fundamental stuff, like you've welded the chassis with a gassless mig. 

Gassless mig's do a shit weld to start with, then i bet every weld's been stop-start  forming heaps of cold brittle point and undercuts, all nice stress concentration points. Then you're going to hard mount a 

vibrating engine to the frame. 

The flat, twin beam chassis has no real torsional stifness and will flex. 

Between the flexy chassis and the engine vibrations the welds don't stand a chance. 

You would have been better off making a chassis from wood and bolting it together. 

That's not even touching your suspension design...

It's kind of a case of  "you don't know what you don't know"

Take a week read two books, get learned and then do a proper job of it! 

• Like 2

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yep been discussing this with other AIRCRAFT ENGINEERS you fuck head, and came to the same conclusion as rookie, re some pipe cut to length and pressed in with a suitable bolt. 

i work with planes for a living and i know all about how stresses transmit through frames. and like ive said, the frame has not been completely finished, seeing as everything is so tightly packed, i am developing the whole chassis as i add in various systems so that nothing gets in the way. 

yes im welding with a gas less, yes its pretty shit but thats what ive got. ive been welding with this particular unit for nearly 10 years and can certainly get a nice strong weld from it. 

and as correctly pointed out, its a fancy go kart. couple that with the large quantity of similar karts in the world and i think ill be just fine. 

you don't know me, what im capable of doing and how many people (who are better still) giving input to this project. all you have to go off are some less than optimal photos. so in a way some of your points could have been valid, but in the end they are not. 

• Like 1

also i would like to highlight the fact that i am building a car that is inspired by race cars that are coming up to being 100 years old. having chassis thats not 100% correct is pretty much the whole point of the project. 

how do you think a 1930s race car would look like with a titanium alloy spaceframed chassis with cantilever trick suspension and a 6 pot four wheel disk brake setup? it would be very functional but it would also be a big heap of over engineered shit. 

• Like 1

how do you think a 1930s race car would look like with a titanium alloy spaceframed chassis with cantilever trick suspension and a 6 pot four wheel disk brake setup? it would be very functional but it would also be a big heap of over engineered shit.

Bro that sounds mint as!

It also sounds like something that artyone guy would try designing.

Anyone remember him? Was building a house out of smashed tube TVs (or something) a few months back

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

pretty much./ just weld on the angled tab. 

ackerman angle was not my reason for buying them, its the several different types of metal shapes you need, of which i have one, and the fact that the axle to spindle joint will take a hamering and i wasnt confident doing that part diy spec. 

i will probably hook it all up as is, and if steering decides it wants ackerman i will add it in/might add it in anyway since its not hard. though they have been used very succesfully as in on many cycle cars