JR's Cycle Car build

JR

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Progress has been slow. I gave the chassis to a good mate who is a pro welder for him to weld the more important parts that I just tacked together. Sounds like he is grinding out most of my bird shit welds and re-welding it. 

I finally bit the bullet and shelled out the cash for some epoxy resin and cloth. So some time after Christmas I should be putting some sweet pictures up of a first time fiberglasser covered in resin/dust/feathers making a hash of things.

I spent the last couple of nights getting it ready for the fiberglassing. The front 2/3rds will be glassed and painted while for the tail I am going to order some epoxy that dries clear as water apparently. I am undecided if I will put a layer of cloth on the tail or not. I will see how easy the cloth is to work with first, I will only do it if I am confident that I can get a clear finish. 

image_zpsiquf8cka.jpg

image_zpsgafxtjge.jpg

Does anyone know an apprentice painter (or a qualified one who is cheap) in Christchurch that would be keen for a cashy to paint this thing? I will have it prepared ready to paint and bring it to them on a trailer? It won't be for a couple of months I'd say. Cheers.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have started fiber glassing the body, it is a lot harder than I thought it would be to go around edges... The first batch had quite a few air bubbles near the 90 degree bends in the cloth, I cut them out once dry and tried again.... I think I have it sorted now though. 

image_zpsy46bndij.jpg

image_zpsyrs4kzkq.jpg

image_zpstjnhihvd.jpg

image_zpsx8lytsqn.jpg

• Like 4

No I dont, Hmmmm I guess they would save me a shit load of sanding? I have been using brushes and it isnt the smoothest of finishes... I still have another coat of resin to go, ill invest in some for the top coat I think. Cheers!

What they do is push the glass down into the surface while also allowing the resin to flow upward and out to the surface. They work really well at pushing everything down and removing air bubbles. If you DO get an area that won't stay down then just use sharp snips to cut a relief.

On the nice rear of the body you need to use a glass tissue. It's exactly as it sounds- made of very fine fibers that's quite easy to tear..feels like thick tissue paper kinda when dry.

On the rear you can use as many or as few layers as you want BUT all edges need to be TORN not cut. If you do this then you will be left with no sharp edges- the torn tissue edges will roll down and blend in REALLY nicely with no ridges or lumps and bumps.

Any questions I'm happy to help (or call the fiberglass shop)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...