pre-nats '14 south trip, suggestions please!

Steelies

hey hey,

so we're on the tour of love pre-nats this year, mint.

roughly speaking our trip will be

picton

somewhere

reefton

lewis pass

chch

arthurs pass

hokitika

westport

nelsonish/marahau

nats

Laura and I are rollin starlet life and camping stz

any of you locals got suggestions for sweet camping/swim/session/eat/coffee/scenery/gravel road/etc spots?

so far i've seen a nice pic of river swimming in Hokitika, and want to burn out to Akaroa while we're chch ways.

EXCITE

• Like 1

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why reefton then chch then back to west coast? Id go east coast going south, ie picton, kaikoura, chch, akaroa, then arthers pass to hokitika, then mish up the west coast to nelson ways. s;ight dopubl;e up to pick up reefton mind you.

Or do you just really want to drive lots of mountain pass's? haha

yes mountain passes, no kaikoura boring,

yeh was thinking about reefton, probably best to swing by on the way back up, all i really want to do is ride the skatepark. which i much want to do.

that would free up time to do more nelson end chillin at the start/some point

Ok so when ever your traveling thru Arthur's pass let me know. About half hour towards chch is cave stream and if you let know the date your rolling thru there and I'll meet ya there and take you on a tour thru the cave . It's about a hour long walk and ranges from chest deep to knee deep inside the cave . A few big boulders to climb over and a ladder on the side of a rock face at the end . Also rad as fuck water holes for swimming afterwards

• Like 5

Ok so when ever your traveling thru Arthur's pass let me know. About half hour towards chch is cave stream and if you let know the date your rolling thru there and I'll meet ya there and take you on a tour thru the cave . It's about a hour long walk and ranges from chest deep to knee deep inside the cave . A few big boulders to climb over and a ladder on the side of a rock face at the end . Also rad as fuck water holes for swimming afterwards

We will be rolling through Arthurs Pass on the Tuesday day.

• Like 1

I used to go to Moana a bit back in the day. Easy enough to walk from the pub to the camping ground / everywhere. Has a sweet swing bridge and a nice bush walk albeit short, over the bridge. Another nice walk that leaves from the top of the campground IIRC. Not a huge amount else there, nice and quiet though. Wooden bridge at the railway station that is good to stand on when the trains roll through. And if you're really keen, you can swim out to a platform not far from the boat ramp. Go for a fish if you're that way inclined too. Its at Lake Brunner. Used to be a zoo just out of Moana on the way to Greymouth (30min trip), not sure if it's still open* though. 

*google suggests it closed in 2000.

Blackball has a salami shop, that's about it really.

Unless they changed it, you can also go to the dump for a looksie @ Blackball. Used to be good fun back in the day. I don't really recall much else as I spent too many nights at the Moana pub.

Shanty Town could be worth a look too, they have steam trains and shit. Tourist spec though, pan for gold etc.

Puni is good camping ground too. can even go kayaking up the river right beside camp ground. Pancake rocks best on stormy/high tide . i travel Grey-Westport for work everyday and found weather in puni alot nicer most of the time, also give time to explore around charleston. is fun walking around the rocks. also Tauranga Bay at  capefouldwind is beautiful on a sunny day. 10 minutes from Westport