custom manifold

oil lines

plenum - 20v one wont hold much boost

intercooler and piping

exhaust

injectors

aftermarket ecu & tune

100 other little bits and pieces

stock st will work fine with some boost.  but you can't just bolt stuff together and drive.

for those wondering about the manifold leaking under boost. (i could be wrong) but i think they were refering to the pressed steel plenum infront of the ITBs its pretty flimsey at best. 

if they are actually talking about the intake manifold, then i to am curious as to why you say it will leak. whats different to a turbo manifold? injector sealing?

Yeah as it's a 2 piece design of light material it's not designed with boost in mind and considering the seal approx 20 years old on most of these engines they have proven themselves to be quite unhappy under even mild boost.

Bobdylan, I'd suggest if you are interested in learning this stuff you will spend a lot of money along the way, but that's the same as any of the guys on here.

Everyone has different ways of learning too and sometimes asking a question in your own way is the only way you'll do it. Just because someones asked the same question before, doesn't mean it's the last time it should/can be asked.

I got mine like this:

IMG_3376.jpg

and sold it like this:

DSC02145copy.jpg

I learnt a hell of a lot along the way.

• Like 2

I'm not being a cunt at all, if you have some wack idea that hasn't been done before, then I am all for a thread to bounce ideas around, but to start a thread about turboing a specific engine, that has been done before, in a place where the resource isn't as strong as other places because you haven't searched is just plain lazy.

I know a little theory about turbo 20vs because I researched them, I spent ages figuring out CRs of the different combinations of pistons and heads, I looked at a lot of compressor maps to pick which Turbo would suit my needs, this didn't come for free, but at the same time I would happily give this info away IF it was clear the the OP had done some background research and came a cropper on a specific detail.

To ask us to produce a magic formula that you probably won't even follow anyway, that is over the line. Especially after asking Voldo about NA cams and shit and the not having the decency to reply after he laid it all out for you, and probably gave you some of best info you could hope to come across.

• Like 2

The stock plenum chamber will leak. A mate has this motor in a KE70, with an SC14 supercharger. The standard intake manifold is being used, with a custom alloy plenum. Runs about 10 psi, with bigger injectors, intercooler, standard internals, and a Link G2, from memory.

EDIT: Found a pic

9auSPvb.jpg

Goes hard, and is reasonably reliable. At a guess it makes about 120kw at the wheels. I haven't seen a dyno sheet.

The main thing is to be really careful with the fuel control and boost, with the high compression on the 20 valve motor.

I say do it!

I built a turbo 16v 4agze MR2 years ago. That went quite well, until it blew up at least.

I'm not being a cunt at all, if you have some wack idea that hasn't been done before, then I am all for a thread to bounce ideas around, but to start a thread about turboing a specific engine, that has been done before, in a place where the resource isn't as strong as other places because you haven't searched is just plain lazy.

I know a little theory about turbo 20vs because I researched them, I spent ages figuring out CRs of the different combinations of pistons and heads, I looked at a lot of compressor maps to pick which Turbo would suit my needs, this didn't come for free, but at the same time I would happily give this info away IF it was clear the the OP had done some background research and came a cropper on a specific detail.

To ask us to produce a magic formula that you probably won't even follow anyway, that is over the line. Especially after asking Voldo about NA cams and shit and the not having the decency to reply after he laid it all out for you, and probably gave you some of best info you could hope to come across.

Haha over the line? It's an internet forum buddy.

So he grinds your gears? big deal. Don't read it and move along.

• Like 2

I didn't ignore him. I was quite happy going n/a with 193b's and was saving for them. $895+gst is quite a chunk to come up with.

Yes he was great and i was maybe not so forthcoming. I did a hell of a lot of research into my n/a build. Hell i did the swap myself, researched the best covers, sway bar thickness, gearbox to buy, how to do a blacktop ecu swap. When i had never done this before and i asked questions on toymods a Hell of a lot because i didn't know. Fuck i regreat asking this question now.

i know two bits of jack crap about turbochargers as never owned one. Was offered some parts cheap and now regreat it. will search in the future and sorry again to voldo. Have pm'd him.

/end thread on the note of me being a cunt

Sweet. If you want to go turbo it'll end up costing a bit as others have said - just in fittings etc.

IMO N/A, low power and light weight is the best combination when you're getting started in motorsport - the biggest performance advantage is in seat time. You'll learn how to get the most out of your car N/A and can lay on more horsepower later if you decide to stick with the same car.

• Like 2

this^  you'll have just as much/more fun in a mildish na setup.  plus can beat down on it all day, without having to worry too much about breaking stuff.   spend cash on handling!  

You should see how she handles now, its so much better then stock. The MRP coil overs are a good buy. I think after the 193's i will stop modifying the engine and the 70mm trumpets have made a big difference. I have done some clever tricks to get all the power I can out of her without going nuts. KPR, some say the stock bolts are good for 8500 any experence?

I do love the high rpm sound of the 4a.

not sure re stock bolts, i take it you mean rod bolts?   I run arp rodbolts in my engines, na engine has silvertop rods, turbo has the massive smallport rods.  limit them to 8900rpm.  which they have seen a lot over the years without drama's.   

mains have the factory bolts.

you should be ok up to 8500 on a stock silvertop bottom end. wouldn't want to push it much harder though!