Turbocharging a 4age???

bobdylan

This weekend was kinda expensive for a mate, he wrote off his GSR lancer and doesnt have insurance. Anyway he has agreed to sell me the TD-04 turbo, wastegate, Sequencial BOV and  390cc injectors for $50.

So I guess the question is can these run on a Silvertop with 11:1 comp ratio? Maybe set the wastgate for 5-7psi? Can the MAP sensor cope with this? Can the B/T ECU cope with this or would i need to go Honda ECU? Can the intake plenium cope with 7psi max or would it come flying apart?

Anyone know where a good place to get a manifold from would also be great.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the wastegate flap is operated by the attached diaphragm. That diaphragm is designed to fully open at the required boost pressure determined by the manufacturer. You can "trick" the wastegate into opening later by using a boost tap or in your case you would want to lower the boost.

Using a helper spring on the wastegate rod will decrease the amount of effort required for it to open causing it to open earlier.

This weekend was kinda expensive for a mate, he wrote off his GSR lancer and doesnt have insurance. Anyway he has agreed to sell me the TD-04 turbo, wastegate, Sequencial BOV and 390cc injectors for $50.

So I guess the question is can these run on a Silvertop with 11:1 comp ratio? Maybe set the wastgate for 5-7psi? Can the MAP sensor cope with this? Can the B/T ECU cope with this or would i need to go Honda ECU? Can the intake plenium cope with 7psi max or would it come flying apart?

Anyone know where a good place to get a manifold from would also be great.

what other parts does he want to sell for fuck all

• Like 3

I wouldn't think you will need to go crazy with overcomplicated W to A intercooling setup - sure the little TD04 will make crazy heat if you run 18-20 psi but at the boost levels you are talking, elevated intake temps shouldn't be a major drama...

Only one way to learn, go for it!

Never heard of a inlet manifold leaking but Toyota's are new to me, is the wastegate factory or an external?

ecu wouldn't cope with the injector size increase, unless its tune-able.  If not piggyback or standalone + tuning which can cost $$$$

I would assume the map sensor would cope at that level of boost, what size map sensor is it (how many bars can it read)?

A2A would be easiest and in my opinion better anyway.

Paint doesn't effect the temps noticeably (if at all), been a few back yard type tests done that showed no increase. Use radiator paint, id assume it was designed for transferring heat but best of all it seems to stick well & resist chipping.

If we all followed this advice we would still be living in caves

In today's day in age if you want people on an internet forum to build your car for you, and work out all of the problems involved, you are very like to run into people who tell you to fuck off.

There are literally thousands of pages that you can read that will tell the the perils and pros of boosting an NA motor.

• Like 2