another bike carb setup thread

BlownCorona

Bolt it up to that spare head, tighten bolts up and heat it, should be able to get rid of the worst of the bend like that I would imagine.

Yeah, a bit of bowing is to be expected with laser cutting, especially with a part that large. There is nothing to support the part vertically from flexing, and a large amount of heat is added in the cutting process. Wasn't an issue last time due to the size of the flanges.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone else interested in it, this is what the new flange looks like (or close to with a few minor changes).

Screenshot%202013-10-05%2011.49.39.png

Exhaust manifold will bolt directly onto this (end and center ports) with the runners welded directly to this.

• 5 months later...

sooo was looking at putting bike carbs on my car (Honda civic with a D15b) so 1500cc sohc.

Just wondering if they would be to small, they are off a cbr250rr and 30mm, Would these be too small? they should work if i drill the jets out?

Super basic rule of thumb I used was multiply the cc of the engine with the red line rpm of both engines and compare the number, this should give you an idea of if they will flow enough to support the engine at max rpm, from there you can look at jet and port sizes etc...

My inclination is that the 250cc carbs are going to be too small for an engine 6x larger, I used 1100cc bike carbs on a 2000cc engine

what size is the existing port/s on the engine?

the intake port is about 40mm at its largest.

Super basic rule of thumb I used was multiply the cc of the engine with the red line rpm of both engines and compare the number, this should give you an idea of if they will flow enough to support the engine at max rpm, from there you can look at jet and port sizes etc...

My inclination is that the 250cc carbs are going to be too small for an engine 6x larger, I used 1100cc bike carbs on a 2000cc engine

yeah they probably aren't the best but they are super cheap so thought there may be a way of making them work. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=706804668

sweeeet, this thing is going to be revving out to about 9k hopefully so i may need something quite big.

No doubt i will be posting more in this thread once i start to install the carbs and go through what you guys have and try make them run right hahah. 

For what it's worth, I only paid about 100 bucks for my mikuni 40mm flat slide gsxr1100r carbs. So don't let the price tempt you, I really think they will starve the engine about 4000 rpm

dayum, let us know next time you spy a set of flat slides for $100, wicked deal!

• Like 1