another bike carb setup thread

BlownCorona

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have done an aeronautical engineering course in which we had to file a bucking bar perfectly flat, used engineering blue and all that. 

im capable of doing it, that said, i do not own the tools required, and i dont have enough free time to do so, so ill have to get them machined. (im aiming to have this finished and wofd so i can take it to the hanmer meet) 

ive been chasing vac leaks all day, and its getting a bit better, also hooked up the manual choke and accelerator and took it slowly around the block today. i then welded in the fitting for boosted brakes and this seems to work pretty well. it does affect the RPM when the breaks are pressed. this may be a normal side effect im not sure yet. breaks feel good though. 

does anyone have a good way to find vac leaks when the manifold is off? so far ive been sealing the runner with my hand and blowing into it and hearing for the leaks. and using ether when the engine is running to hear for when it gets sucked in, but id prefer something a bit more precise. 

blowing into it with some soapy water around the joins should find the leaks pretty well

if you really want to finish the mating surface up flat then you can get a bit of glass with some sandpaper to get a flat surface, might take you many hours if its more than a mm or 2 out though haha

• 2 weeks later...

yeah its most certainly vac leaks that cause this coughing problem, i welding a shit ton of leaks up in the welds, and used RTV to seat the flange to test the theory, purs nicely and ran very well, only coughed a bit on 4th cyl. however, the RTV got all kinds of fucked up real fast. 

the manifold is currently with rob - 4age_addict - who is very kindly machining them flat again, and i picked up a new gasket today cause the manifolds have been on and off so many times.

also thinking about smearing a thin layer of kneedit over the welds, to both seal any last leaks and to smooth out the joins in the vein of car filler. 

to chase leaks i get a can of crc easy start and chuck on the 5.56  straw attachment start motor up and squirt at your flanges and welds if you find a leak the rpms will pick up a bit you'll hear it.... best do it before the exhaust heats up to much for a non crossflow.

• Like 1

yeah man, got that all sorted, i think it was in this thread that soapy water works an absolute treat. 

seal up the port end, put soapy water on all the joins, and blow into the carb end, bubbles and and makes noise on all leaks. 

you can all assume that my weird running/vac leak problems are cured with welding and Robs machining help, and i will surely be back with you shortly with the next problem!