another bike carb setup thread

BlownCorona

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the rtv was fucking horrible. petrol turns it to jelly.

the problem side is right next to/under exhust runner no.1

they are between 10 and 8mm after machining and shimmed to suit. and i check for leaks with spray ether. though i can physially see this corner has not crushed the gasket as much as the rest

and yes my hands are mega fucked/burnt from working on this bitch, the headers get so fucking hot after 5 mins of running. perhaps running lean, but i cant get into tuning untill vac leaks fuck off. 

about to go rip into it now anyway, lets see what happens. 

yes its been machined flat by a local oldschooler. 

so fucking angry now. thought it was going well, untill the fucking thread stripped out on the fucking head. i highly doubt it will be done before hanmer now. 

how fucking hard is it to get two machined surfaces to seal. i do everything right, buy new gaskets, get flanges machined, avoid bodging it up with filler and shit and (probably due to over tightning) the fucking thing shits itself. 

so.fucking.angry. 

no bike carb build thread on the net ever had issues with sealing at the head. 

ughh. 

yeah i know its not a huge deal, and i even have spare heads but ill use that when i build my fresh engine later on. 

just im sick to fucking death of this bullshit, i planned on problems being with getting it tuned right, not simply getting it to seal.

only major problem is that if i drill and tap it out to the next size, i would need to drill out the slots on my manifold, and since their shity design from factory as it is, is causing these problems, im not too keen on making them worse, plus theres not much meat to cut away to suit a larger bolt. 

thats actually a cheaper set, ive seen the proper helicoil and recoil kits around the $100 mark. 

will find out what we have at work and steal one of those hopefully. 

still leaves me back at square one with the manifolds not sealing, i put them against a window tonight and there was very slight imperfection in the height, nothing that struck me as concern that the gasket shouldnt take up, but i could be wrong? 

its enough that i could finish it by hand with sand paper and a pane of glass i think, 

valid point, but since i can see flame at the head seal when it back fires, im certain it is there. 

and the fact that all runners have displayed this backfiring, and as i got them sealing properly the problem dissapeared. 

i can only assume others had backfiring that was fixed by filters, because the jetting was too lean to run open. i dont know

This assumes the glass is flat, and since glass is actually a liquid, that's iffy.

Maybe the vacuum leak is the head (steel ruler check?)

Perhaps the vacuum sealed area includes the area encompassed by the filters. Since others have stuck this problem and filters solved it. 

Just a note. Glass isn't a liquid

http://io9.com/the-glass-is-a-liquid-myth-has-finally-been-destroyed-496190894

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Links/www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html