• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

we're all talking shit, look ^

damn stripped thread. stop and breathe!

yeh windows aren't flat at all

pull carbs

fix stripped thread with helicoil, you don't need to eat. or divert hanmer booze funds and we'll keep you tanked haha

clean manifold and head well, start all over again spec

post pics for us?

also, have you been tightening your manifold bolts by any particular pattern/system? what have you used as shims for flange thickness correction?

steel rule and torch to look at head sealing surface flatness? in one plane at least

all hory last ditch ideas that may just be worth a try. if not, please ignore

• 2 weeks later...

this fucking thing is getting very old very fast. ive tried everything i can think of with no real soloution found, i cant see anything that should be different to the factory manifold that never had an issue. 

the only think i can think off is that the mating faces arnt 100 million % flat so i guess i could get them machined again and attempt to get them a bit better, but i really thought that they were within spec for a gasket to take up the slack. 

Have you thought about using an alternative gasket material? Older cars used to use a rubberized cork compound stuff which I recall had quite a bit of crush/give in it. Dunno how you would get on finding something suitable, but if you could find some you could have a go at cutting out a gasket. Might take up a bit more of the gap perhaps

ive tried double gaskets, which should have the same affect. 

admitidly it did help, but just not 100%. my only concern with a cork gasket, is that because its a side flow, its probaly gonna get real hot, and would it then catch fire? also ive not seem a cork manifold gasket, more oil sealing etc

worth getting side of head checked/faced to be 100% flat as well? If its not sealing then there must be a discrepancy between the head and intake, or the intake flange isnt stiff enough (you said somethign about there not being enough studs)

i think the head is flat, will check when i have some actual daylight to work in, (working 8-5:30, with no garage sucks fucking balls)

the manifold isnt perfectly flat, but rob did a pretty good job and got it close. i might get in contact with him and see if there is any capacity for his gear to get it flatter. 

Considering old cars used to have cork head gaskets, I doubt fire would be too much of an issue. Then again, I've never tried it so not too sure. Could probably test it in an oven or something. Just seems to me like something that will compress more easily might help matters

To me is sounds like

a ) The flange isn't flat

b ) There isn't enough clampling force to make the not flat flange seal

c ) The flange isn't thick enough

a combination, or choose one? its the same way that im thinking and just at a cross roads as to whether i bin it and start again, or just machine some more. leaning towards machining, but i dont want to waste mine/others time either. 

and pete - some parts were unaffected, some have a few thou skimmed off. though its not 100% flat, so this to me seems the most likely culprit. 

and as for sealers, ive tried

gasket

2 gaskets

3 gaskets (lol) i think too many mating faces was the problem with this cause it didnt work what so ever)

red rtv (fucking terrible)

Holts firegum (worked well fo about 10 mins then blew out) 

Threebond (didnt really work at all, preped it well and let it cure for two days)