another bike carb setup thread

BlownCorona

the bolts are going in smoothly, but not hard to file them out a bit to make sure, so ill do that aswell, but i dont think its affecting it 

as for hanmer

factory manifold is about 15mm thick, extractors are 10mm

i sized the bike carb flange to match the extractors

turns out extractors fit the engine but not the car

cut up extractors and factory exhuast to make it fit for the new carb manifold 

now have no exhuast that will work with factory intake

no wof

no rego

10 days

sadface

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I made the manifold for my Kent, had to replace the flange because After I got it machined it was too thin and didn't have the stiffness to make a good seal, I replaced it with a 1/2" flange and got that machined flat again which got it down to about 10mm, and it has been good for ages now.

I don't know what the bolt pattern/number is on this motor but I guess it might not be evenly distributed enough to get a good seal with the flange you have.

• Like 1

out of interest not reading everything here,

if you port-match the gasket on the head side, and then lay it over the flange, does anything retarded stand out in the mating area?

if its ok cut a gasket paper gasket and rub it lightly on both sides with hightemp/fuelsafe rtv, brakekleen & 100grit sand each face so it keys in,

unsure what went gooey last time? it definitely works fine on inlet manifolds.

untill you have to remove it obviously!

• Like 1

one of those ports is the vent for the fuel bowl, the other is the inlet for the air idle mixture bleed screw, both need to be open.

i know for a fact that the leak is at the head because i usually can only work on this at night time due to work and no garage, and when it back fires i can see the flame light up the seam between head and manifold. 

i ive been busy getting my daihatsu ready for hanmer so ill get back into this after im back from there. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

OKAY BACK INTO THIS BITCH!

after yarns were spun at hanmer it was decided that the best, most trouble free option to make sure everything lined up straight. was to cut a new flange, that included the entire gasket profile, so both intake and exhaust, as well as beef up some of the thinner areas. and cut it from 13mm plate to allow for some machining. 

the runners will then be welded to this larger flange, and the exhaust manifold bolted to this larger flange. 

another point of note, is that i wont be welding it myself, my gasless mig simply pumps too much heat into it, so im looking for someone to weld it up for me, preferably TIG if possible (i understand this is a colder weld? correct me if im on the wrong track)

ill also be altering a few other points in MKII that i didnt like about MKI, hopefully it should be world apart!

cheers for everyone's input and help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got my v2.0 flange back and again Ben did a stellar job with the cad drawing. Though the flange arrived with a 3mm bow in it....

Phoned autobend about it and they said it's normal with laser cutting....

The thing will probably bow more with welding and I'm just concerned in general about it. I've gone up in thickness to allow for machining but unsure how much material is going to need to be removed.

Can't catch a damn break with this bloody manifold.