Casting an Intake manifold

SOHC

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome casting you have done man.

From personal experience try avoid 3D scanners as they can be more of a hassle than drawing the part in CAD as they miss data points and are useless for shiny objects.

Also Sketchup is a good basic CAD program but has a problem creating a accurate stl file for 3D printing. Stick to SolidWorks and the like.

Finally for $800 what you get is pretty awesome. The motor's, extruder head and structure is worth it. I wouldnt reccomend anyone get anything less than a MakerBot as they have a good resolution.

Sorry if spam. 

Has anyone used other plastics such as Nylon as a mould? 

watch the first video i posted :)

your part is 2 pieces and you pack 1/2 in a frame and then flip it, put the other 1/2 of the part on and put the other frame on it and line the frame up. Put more sand in to fill the top 1/2 and then split the 2 frames and pull out the 2 pieces and you have a mould.

Granted i missed out the riser and filler etc but you get the gist maybe

From personal experience try avoid 3D scanners as they can be more of a hassle than drawing the part in CAD as they miss data points and are useless for shiny objects.

what about for scanning things like, say, a car door?

What sort of units have you used? this is something Ive been wondering about recently, I need to do some learning.

• 3 weeks later...

I paid $315. Reserve is $300, buy now of 350. Will probably offer it to the highest bidder or if someone makes an offer on here

Hey man, I have a mate that will buy this. I'll ring him now and see.

In case Simons guy falls through etc, can you describe the electronics? Just trying to find out if it really needs 3 phase or if it can be rewired to use a 32A single phase connection? Is there also some markings in how much power it uses? Might have a look what a high power VFD is worth to make 3 phase from a 32A single phase connection....

In reality none of this is likely to happen, but have been wanting to build an LPG one for a little while now but if this works out cost effective, it could be worth looking into

Some questions from this guy.

Does it have any brand identification / numbers?

Does it have a lid?

Does it have a timer and a thermostat?

Does it have a crucible in it?

What's the max temp?

Does it have any sort of power rating on it?

What frequency?

Is it water cooled?

Could you get some more photos too?

Cheers.

No brand or identification. 

Yes it has a lid

No signs of a timer, Should be able to get some more photos tonight

No crucible.

Not sure on max temp

Not sure on the power rating. Hopefully someone wiser then me can tell from the photos

Also not sure of frequency

Not water cooled

Ned I'll get some more photos and some part numbers posted up 

• 2 weeks later...

Chortle

Should have put it in context.

PLA is more stable to extrude on an unheated plateform and less likely to distort during the manufacture of 3d printed parts then ABS if the printer is more exposed to elemental temperature changes. ABS with pull, lift and warp if not kept at a more uniform temperature in comparison.

PLA is more unstable if you were to keep the part on the dashboard of your car, or in your pocket when you went for a run VS ABS

For casting I suggested PLA as it has no petrolium base contaminates, so if you were to hot pour into the part it would vapourise with no residue.

:)

I am going to cranck things up a few degrees, I have a big silicon carbide crucible, it was quit expensive, I am going to try doing some cast iron, started bulding an oil burner, only problem I need $300+ worth of refractory cement