Banter's TA61 Celica of yesterday's future

Banter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Haha. Whats the joke about the capri being a celica?

In other news I picked up the diff, the PCD is slightly different, maybe I can slot the CV joint bolt holes a bit? Not sure on the legality, will have to look it up.

with the diff you can only use the center., so you keep your housing axels, stub axels crown wheel and pinion. basically you use the whole diff apart from the centre. you will have to set the backlash and have some shims made up to fit it together correctly. make sure you don't mix up the outer bearing shells from the torsen as you need them and they are paired together when built.

I have done this before , I also have a ta63 ( go figure lol) . I used a bigger torsen lsd and fitted it into a f series housing , basically the same conversion that you are doing now, and to be completely honest it was a waste of time, they are shit . if you pick up a wheel and drop it ie race track , then it will explode and leave you with mushy fucked everything.  if you plan to do skids or try and drift it then it will open up mid slide and send you uncontrollably into a spin. if you upgrade you motor and put heaps of power through it , it will fuck out twice as fast. they are no good to be honest, only good for traction racing.  

I tried different oil , I tried different wheel setups to add more grip. nothing helped, I even pulled it down cleaned and inspected it , all was good.  you just cant beat a plate type lsd .

on a side note, I am good mates with hippo, I was there when he got this , he had it for a couple years, I welded the diff, the guy he got it from had 2 this was his parts car. I know some of its history. he didn't do much with it , had to move house a couple times , ect, never really had the time or place to do anything with it. glad to see someone is going to spend the time to get it back on the road

• Like 1

I tried different oil , I tried different wheel setups to add more grip. nothing helped, I even pulled it down cleaned and inspected it , all was good.  you just cant beat a plate type lsd .

on a side note, I am good mates with hippo, I was there when he got this , he had it for a couple years, I welded the diff, the guy he got it from had 2 this was his parts car. I know some of its history. he didn't do much with it , had to move house a couple times , ect, never really had the time or place to do anything with it. glad to see someone is going to spend the time to get it back on the road

Thanks for the tech info dude. I'm going to have to stick with the torsen at this stage, budget wise, but its good to know it's weaknesses.

Is Hippo on old school? Sounds like a lot of people know him. He seemed like a cool guy, really bent over backwards to help me get the car down from Auckland. This car seem to have a bit of history.  

yeah my issue was I couldn't find any plate lsd units. so I tried the torsen, but as long as you know what to expect then you wont be disappointed or waste any time trying to fix it . one thing I can say that helps is make sure you have some suspension drupe , this helps to stop it from destroying its self when you get into driving aggressively . cause lifting a wheel pretty much guarantees destruction.

yeah hippo is quite a character, he's not on this forum , was heavily involved in club k for ages, not sure if he is now to be honest, he buggered of to Christ church. I can say that if it wasn't for him moving down there for work and missus then it would not have been sold. we would probably be doing what you are doing to it now and drinking huge amounts of beer, listing to heavy metal at blaringly loud volumes chopping and welding  . . . ah I miss the good old days

I'm a bit opposite about torsen/clutch LSDs....

I've got a 2 way clutch type Cusco LSD and it sucks.

So tight that it may as well be a locker, clunks and bangs all the time, and makes the front understeer a bit.

Would happily go to a torsen instead for a road car.

Although in saying this, the one I've got is notoriously bad for all of the above, other clutch type ones are probably a bit more streetable.

both have their benefits.  i'd easily daily a torsen (and have a few for this reason).  they designed to maintain traction but both wheels need to be on the ground for it to work.  can still get it sideways for a bit of fun and sure beats an open diff.  If you somehow get stuck with one wheel in the air going offroad etc, apply the brakes and the load from applying brakes to the spinning wheel will transfer to the loaded wheel.  I read that in humvee literature heh.   Can't beat the 2way clutch lsd for drift and track. 

I'm a bit opposite about torsen/clutch LSDs....

I've got a 2 way clutch type Cusco LSD and it sucks.

So tight that it may as well be a locker, clunks and bangs all the time, and makes the front understeer a bit.

Would happily go to a torsen instead for a road car.

Although in saying this, the one I've got is notoriously bad for all of the above, other clutch type ones are probably a bit more streetable.

yeah the 2 way lsd's are not nice for general driving, 1.5 way is meant to be allot nicer and less under steer as its not locked on deceleration  . I have been told you can change them from 1.5 to 2 and vice versa . I have not pulled any of my lsd's down as they are all brand new so I can not confirm this . if you do find out would be interested in seeing how its done .