Banter's TA61 Celica of yesterday's future

Banter

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon they suit the pre-facelift version pretty good. Each to his/her own!

1600GT-Rally_zpsea49d4de.png

If anyone's interested: http://www.toyota.co.jp/jpn/company/history/75years/vehicle_lineage/catalog/60010026B/pageview.html#page_num=1

There's a bunch of scans of old toyota brochure scans on the 75th anniversary website for heaps of different models

with the diff you can only use the center., so you keep your housing axels, stub axels crown wheel and pinion. basically you use the whole diff apart from the centre. you will have to set the backlash and have some shims made up to fit it together correctly. make sure you don't mix up the outer bearing shells from the torsen as you need them and they are paired together when built.

t series torsens are a bit different, you have to use the stubaxles from the lsd as the original ts are slightly to small and then redrill your halfshafts to suit? /t's are shit just get an f series subframe,  

• 6 months later...

yeah hippo is quite a character, he's not on this forum , was heavily involved in club k for ages, not sure if he is now to be honest, he buggered of to Christ church. I can say that if it wasn't for him moving down there for work and missus then it would not have been sold. we would probably be doing what you are doing to it now and drinking huge amounts of beer, listing to heavy metal at blaringly loud volumes chopping and welding  . . . ah I miss the good old days

Dont forget singing so loudly and terribly that we get told to GTFO of the garage Dan! Hahahaha.

I google image searched ta61 celica to show a workmate the shape of Celica I used to own and pictures of it popped up and led me here so I thought I'd sign up and say gidday.

Gidday Banter, long time no talk, in fact I didnt really have to bend over too far to get you sorted across the country with a mate like ta631uz, Dan did all the grunt work, got an old battery from work, swapped wheels over and moved it to my mums place for the transporter (pretty sure I still owe you a bottle of Beam Danman.)

All I can say is wow. We never got as far as getting the guards off, but had I realised the extent of the cancer I woulve steered well clear in the first place but I am genuinely stoked to see the progress you are making! It is a fantastic shape and rare vehicle and I'm glad it has gone to a good home! Given my erratic living and working situation at the time (not to mention the love of my life landing in my lap in the meantime and dragging me off to Chch with her) I couldnt give it the time and attention it deserved. As Dan stated, I wouldve never sold it if I had remained in Auckland, but with me down here, my storage lease expiring and no sign of me permantly returning I had to swallow my pride and get rid of it (hence the $1 dol reserve.) Takes me back to the good old days of hitting the garage with Dan and the hours of fun, swearing and cursing, and catching my hair and beard on fire with a grinder. I have some cool photos of the Club-K grasskhana when we got to take it out, and will be following this thread!

Given that I am no longer on Club-K I guess I need another work distraction hahaha so will be checking out the rest of the oldschool forum/community given I already know a lot of the people here.

Awesome sauce, be in touch.

Potamus

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, so the gt4 stub axle will fit a g series lsd, i brought a g from spartan road wreckers , it said gx71 on it, but had 4 stud half shaft, which a few people couldnt understand. any way id been doing the torsen swap in my ta63 and had spare half shafts and compared the two, the same. so the good thing is the 6.7'' t series torsen has a strong axle, and behind a low torque power train would perform , but in the case where i had it behind the 1uz, i split the case in half at meremere.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on moving to Australia in the near future and I'm struggling to find time to work on this. If anyone's keen to take this off my hands please pm me, I'll be putting up in the classifieds when I get a chance.

Thanks,

Andrew

Now up: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/45239-1981-toyota-celica-ta61-gt-rally-palmerston-north/