Flappers.... WTF?

Rookie

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Na, I hear the carbs doorting though. I could hear them when I rolled the wheels from the tyre machine back to the car but that is it, pretty sure engine noise would drown them out from outside the car too.

• Like 1

could you not just get the wheels balanced up properly? Or am I missing something here....

Na, when you put the flappers on you never get them perfectly centred and so they never balance up right, or at least mine didn't.

Car drives sweet as a nut now, so I am happy.

the physics of loose balls inside the tire escape me

someone dumb it down so I might grasp the concept

car goes faster because the rubber gets polished by the BB's and therefore has far less internal friction. it's a proven fact, read it in a Smokey Yunick book. :-)

wat

The tyre flings them to the outside and because they are loose bb's the out of balance wheel/tyre will shake them so they 'flow' and get distributed around the inside of the tyre to make the whole whee/tyre/pellet system is balanced.

If it isnt balanced with bb's then just keep adding more until they are.

Over simplified but yuh.

/do a skid and pop bb's at people.

• Like 2

sounds like cool science, but when i swing two bagged cats over my head they don't settle into a balanced state, ie, catbags roughly 180degrees apart. what am i missing?

That is to do with your extended arm. if you could somehow spin at least 10-15 cats just around your wrist and made sure to keep your wrist in the same spot they would work themselves out to be balanced

Okay, nobody asked but here is my take on how it actually works.

Assume the tyre has one heavy spot around its circumference, as that spins around it is going to create a radial force outwards from the centre of the wheel/hub. Because the front wheel can only move up and down with the suspension (assume the bushes wont deflect and stop any fore/aft movement of the wheel) this heavy spot will make the wheel bounce up and down as it goes around.

As the heavy spot gets to the the 12 oclock position it will compress the suspension slightly and try and move the wheel up, becuase the bb's inside the tyre have a mass they will try and stay where they are and in relation to the tyre and will move down (towards the light side of the tyre),as the heavy spot gets towards the 6 oclock position it tries to extend the suspension slightly and so the balls will continue to move away and get closer to in balance.

This gets repeated until the whole system is in equilibrium.

In real life the out of balance will be the result of lots of heavy spots and will result in force/acceleration in many different directions but the principle still works the same as above.

The reason bb's work is because they will act like a fluid inside the tyre and flow around the inside of the tyre to distribute themselves to counter the out of balance forces. Water would also work.

Cats cant flow/if you filled the cat up with bb's it might.

note: that is just my take on how it works but if people see flaws in my logic then please yell out and call me a fag.

Shitty typing is shitty

• Like 2