DIY Fuel injection thread.

yoeddynz

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In other news, 

Our Toyota Crown is currently running a carb 5M (I think its a 5M anyway) 
Have decided to just chuck the engine and all associated EFI gear from the spare soarer shell into it, so EFI 5M or 6M instead.
Thinking it'll be fun to run a megasquirt or similar on it, for a 6 cyl engine what is the cheapest megasquirt setup that can:

-Run injection on a 6 cyl engine batch firing injectors in pairs at max? 
-Any complications with running an auto box from an early 80s EFI car? 
-Capable of closed loop lambda correction
-Will I have any weird complications with triggers or whatever for this sort of engine? Not really keen to make new trigger wheels etc if I can help it.

Suggestions ahoy / should I just stick with the devil I know and get a G4+ Atom or similar.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roman said:

In other news, 

Have decided to just chuck the engine and all associated EFI gear from the spare soarer shell into it, so EFI 5M or 6M instead.
Thinking it'll be fun to run a megasquirt or similar on it, for a 6 cyl engine what is the cheapest megasquirt setup that can:

-Will I have any weird complications with triggers or whatever for this sort of engine? Not really keen to make new trigger wheels etc if I can help it.

Suggestions ahoy / should I just stick with the devil I know and get a G4+ Atom or similar.

A lot of thise early 80s autos had an independent ecu for the trans. 

If your converting from carb its not like the engine is going to have any less electronic wizardy 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, peteretep said:

can you explain all the Link ecu's dave, they used to have 'buy to unlock' type features from memory, and now they seem to have a bunch more ecu's instead

Yeah sure, so the latest range of ECUs is called the G4+ 

They used to have unlockable features that you would need to pay for, (Like ethrottle control, knock sensing, etc) but now they made them all free. 

I think they were trying to copy Motecs previous strategy of charging for every single option
(It's more expensive to buy an old Motec ECU and unlock the options, than it is to buy a new Motec ECU that has this stuff standard...)

So the main difference between the variations of the G4+ ECUs is how many inputs and outputs they have (and then price)

So the most basic version is a Link G4+ Atom which has just the basics and not enough to control VVTI etc.

All the way through to G4+ Thunder which has a massive amount of inputs and outputs (it has 4 loom plugs on it) 

So if you're just wanting to control an engine then usually an Atom/Monsoon/Storm is good enough, if you want to run the rest of the car as well with lots of inputs and outputs then something fancier from there.

I think the heirachy from cheapest to most expensive (and fewest to most features) is something like:

Atom 
Monsoon
Storm 
Fury (Designed for 6 cyl engines and has onboard wideband controller which is cool)
Xtreme
Thunder (Has stuff like onboard K type thermocouple amplifiers, accellerometer, 2 ethrottle motor controllers.)

Then there are some other versions of the ECU that are "plugin" versions, so they have the plugs so they plug straight into an Evo or whatever without any wiring needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fletch said:

A lot of thise early 80s autos had an independent ecu for the trans. 

If your converting from carb its not like the engine is going to have any less electronic wizardy 

Oh what I mean is we would prefer to use the autobox that comes with the EFI engine as it's a bit newer. (But early 80s) 
But yeah sounds like could just use the older autobox with it if needed.

10 hours ago, Roman said:

In other news, 

You can add additional injection and ignition outputs to a MS2, mines set up for wasted spark and semi-sequential injection. Otherwise there's the DIYPNP unit for the 5/6mge that plugs straight into the factory loom. Does closed loop lambda and all that.

Box depends on the box. The 5MGE had an electronic trans that ran off a seperate computer, probably not hard for it to keep running off it's factory TCU if required.

• Like 1

I've had some interesting results with injection timing at idle, and a friend found that with E85 cold starts became much better with approx 250 degrees BTDC end of injection for timing. Rather than 400deg default setting which fires fuel before valve opens.

So I thought I'd try something else at a higher rpm and low load.
With the car bonnet up, oil cooler fan on and radiator fan on to try stabilise conditions. I used the e-throttle to increase minimum throttle position the engine sat at 2500rpm and at the goal AFR.

Then I iteratively increased the injection timing from 0 degrees through to about 550. I wasnt able to control ever variable here as when the rpm changes slightly it interpolates the ignition timing and fuelling slightly. But it was interesting to see that changing the injection timing alone caused a very clear pattern here.

As for interpreting the results however, Dont know.
Maybe higher rpm for same mass of air = more power / better air fuel mix?

My best results at idle were around the 220deg mark, but I'm guessing ~300 looks best here unless anyone has any other thoughts.

59cf0d17404dc_injtiming.png.20aa70281784e97d96a12f6a858be962.png
  • Like 1

I'm quite interested in this.

In my mind, with a fixed throttle position and injection quantity, any rpm increase from injection timing change would imply more power is being produced as a result of better A/F mixing. The O2 sensor should also read richer as well.

I'd be keen to see how the injection timing should change under load, but that could be pretty difficult to tune with out a steady state dyno

• Like 1

will depend on injector size/duration of pulsewidth  and timing relative to valve events. e.g injection during overlap or not etc. as well as valve open/closed. when you inject during overlap you end up with a leaner mix since some amount of fuel is is buggering off out the exhaust. could explain your dip around 400-450 deg.

use some ms paint technology to add intake and exhaust valve opening  on the right hand y axis?

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone here setup an exhaust pressure sensor before? 

Looking at OEM setups for diesel differential pressure sensors, they have a fairly short stainless steel pipe connecting to the exhaust, and then a length of rubber(?) hose going to the sensor mounted remotely. But perhaps these are more resilient to heat than the map sensor I'm going to use.

Or maybe diesel exhaust gas isnt as hot?
I'll be expecting EGTs of maybe 600-800 deg?
So needs to cool the gas quite a bit.
Damn I wish I still had my thermal camera haha.
Have been advised using copper pipe is a good plan for dissipating the heat, but then what after that? Would silicone hose be okay? 

• Like 1

exhaust gas  isnt really going to be flowing through the pipe.  so would be more the fact the pipe  is in contact with the exhaust.     the length of copper and maybe some kind of heat sink (if you wanted to get fancy)  before joining onto the flexi hose should be enough.  silicone is probably better since it can handle a bit more heat.    i take it you are using a pick a part spec map sensor for trial and error anyway? 

• Like 1