heater removal for cert

Jase

blower_fan2_m.jpg

I have one of these in the race car and it is generally okay when driving, but a bit shit if you want to clear the window first time round - really needs some heating in it.

Use towel / then fan.

There were some on the tard a few years ago that were a low profile heated blower that could sit on dash, or get a 12V travel hair dryer and strip the guts from it.

mean beans they look like the go for the puff,

i'll have plenty heat coming through the firewall no doubt and the car won't likely be driven too often,

but might look into a heating circuit to go in line,

i'm guessing hairdryers just run a hot wire setup.

The problem with running a 12V electric heater of some sort (ala hair dryer) is that to produce enough heat to do anything you need a lot of power. 12V hair dryers plug into cigarette lighter sockets and on the high side will draw 5 amps which is only 60W total output (less the power to run the internal fan). imagine putting a 60W light bulb up against your window and waiting for it to demist your windscreen. it just isn't enough heat. So, the problem is that to get enough power at 12V to create enough heat you need to draw huge amounts of current which requires big wires, etc, etc, etc.

Most guys with electric vehicles use 240V ceramic heaters and wire them in to their high voltage battery packs. This works really well as with the higher voltage you only need a few amps to crank out the heat.

I definitely think your best bet is to try the bilge fan and see how it goes. If it's not enough then worry about what the next step is after that.

The V8 supercar guys seem to rave on about some kind of 2in1 shampoo that's apparently excellent for stopping windscreens from fogging up - like that FogX stuff but better. A quick search should fill you in on what kind to use. The plan for my racecar is to run the bilge fan + shampoo anti fog.

One more thing.

Looking at the T7design place linked above. The smallest hot water heater they have is rated at 2.2kW (http://www.t7design.co.uk/index.php?mai ... cts_id=189). To match this with an electric heater requires 183A. Waaayyyyyy more than your alternator can even supply and it would require MASSIVE cables.

Just wanted to justify my claims above...

VW guys have been looking for alternative heating for years, as if you run an aftermarket performance exhaust you typically have to sacrifice your heater boxes (which clamp around the exhaust manifold) - so far as I know no one has found a working alternative yet (except for a petrol powered/burning heater...)