The Mosquito Launch! 29 Sept 2012 (airshow!)

Who's keen to go and see some old planes hoon around in the sky?! Not to mention listen to the glorious sound of RR Merlin engines... the 8 year resto of a DeHavilland Mosquito is going to culminate in this event, so who from OS is keen to go along and have a squiz at Ardmore?

Unsure if there are gate sales, I'm just going to obtain tix via Ticketek BY CLICKING HERE so if keen, maybe just do the same? Gonna be heaps of other sweet aircraft, and also some stupid Harvards.

Taken from the Ticketek site:

Following extensive restoration over the last 8 years, the de Havilland Mosquito FB26 KA 114 will fly later this year!

This is a truly significant event in the annals of aircraft restoration as this Mosquito will be the only one in the world, currently, able to fly!!

On Saturday 29 September 2012, at Ardmore Airport the de Havilland Mosquito Launch Spectacular will take place from 9am – 4pm.

(Sunday 30 September 2012 will be held as a rain day, therefore tickets purchased can be transferred to this date)

NZ is home to a number of exotic and classic de Havilland aircraft from the Tiger Moth to the ultra rare Venom and Vampire Jets, the Mosquito Launch Spectacular will be a true celebration of all things de Havilland.

Throughout the course of the day the Mosquito FB26 KA114 will be joined in the sky by her WWII stable mates the Mustang, Spitfire and Kittyhawk. The Harvard Display Team will wow the crowds with stunning aerobatics and ex Military jets will be on hand to steal some cloud time too.

Being a celebration of all things British and de Havilland the day will include a collection of Classic British Cars, represented by each ‘Owners Club’ of enthusiastic devotees such as the Jaguar, the Aston Martin, the Classic Mini and more.

So yeah, who's in?

Could be keen, never really gone to an air show before

Wow, wait until you hear those Merlins in the Spitfire and the Mustang, it's like nothing else...... I can't even imagine what the Mosquito could be like. I love the Vampires too, they're a cool little plane.

Does anyone know if the Skyhawk is flying?

Oh, and yeah, I'm keen as to go!

fyi im pretty sure you could get into this for free pretty easy. Have done many times. What you gota do is jump in a plane and taxi down past the road block where they make you pay.

also dont take your dog. Everytime there is something at ardmore like this 20,000 men with beards in white vans get turned away at the gate due to having a dog with them.

thought it was just static display. been in a padock for 10 years

Yeah, I'm not sure. I thought the reason they were so expensive to store was because they were keeping them close to airworthy, with the whole deal for the place in the US on the go and all.....

I'm sure the Warbirds will get it up and running eventually. Awesome little planes.

thought it was just static display. been in a padock for 10 years

Yeah, I'm not sure. I thought the reason they were so expensive to store was because they were keeping them close to airworthy, with the whole deal for the place in the US on the go and all.....

I'm sure the Warbirds will get it up and running eventually. Awesome little planes.

havn't been out there for a while but that was what i was told last year. Dunno if they'd have the cash to restore and operate it or if they're allowed to( i know there is some problem the amercians have with letting civilians drive planes with such up to date avionics etc). And nah they were just parked in a padock with white plastic on them. Expensive to store because airforce. They kept one running and flew it every so often for test drives etc incase somebody wanted to buy. Also have a few engines they fire up, i think just for training mechanics.

theres a strikemaster which is operational. On tm now.

also a russian thing and a cessna dragonfly at ardmore i think. other jets might pop in. Dunno whats happend with the sabre that was being restored out there. The vampire in swiss colours is cool

Doubt the A4 (Skyhawk) will be flying - the one at Ardmore doesn't have an engine so you'd have to tow it pretty fast. I suspect the Strikemaster will be up tho and they have talked about having the Airmacchi flying with a different engine (still a RR viper but not the 680 we operated them with)

Should be a good airshow, might have to turn up with camera :wink:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...