Diesel Hard Starting Question

Bling

Current daily is a diesel pathfinder. What are some super obvious reasons why it would be hard to start? I know nothing about diesels, but am curious about the possibly old / warn heatplugs and whether they would cause it. I let them warm up before starting, but sometimes it will just crank over for a while without starting. Has been a pig to start for a long time. I'm just borrowing it so thought i'd try suss it out while I have it.

Battery? Fuel? Heatplugs? What else might it be?

Fuel draining back to the tank

Ineffective glowplugs

Slow cranking speed

Shitty injectors giving a rough spray pattern

I double glow my BX and it starts rough cos I think it gets a bit of air in the fuel overnight.

My fuel return line popped off my number 1 injector after I did my clutch and it was getting a tonne of air in it and I had to crank for 20-25 seconds before it would fire and then it ran rough for another 10-20 seconds.

Once I fixed that it was heaps better - unsurprisingly

Any way to tell visually that a glow plug is past its best? Smokes on start up after failing to start. Just assuming it's fuel building up while trying to start. Will take notice for smoke next time I take it out and report back.

Will check the above things over the weekend. cheers

Does it struggle hot as well? Could have low compression.

Remove glow plugs and test with jumper cables. They should get red hot in about the same amount of time the glow light stays on. Be careful though and face them away from you when testing.

Just started it up and it doesn't struggle. It's supposed to have been rebuilt in the last few years due to overheating at some stage. Just the first start of the day it struggles and sometimes it just doesn't want to fire up. Seems to crank over fast enough.

check that the glow timer is actually working before you change the glow plugs...

also change the diesel filter if it hasnt been done for awhile,also check air filter..

if the glow timer is sweet then glow plugs are cheap enough..

I double glow my BX and it starts rough cos I think it gets a bit of air in the fuel overnight.

I'm sorry to hear this.

I single glow my Corolla on cold mornings and casually forget to in summer and it starts about 3rd compression because Toyota.

The answer to OP's problem though is obviously more fuel.

And if that doesn't work, up the compression / buy a new motor.

White smoke while cranking and briefly when it starts?

Chuck a multimeter or test light on glow wire/link and make sure there is power there while the glow light is illuminated, that will rule out glow relay, timer etc.

Pull the glow plugs out id ( they just unscrew ) no sealant needed when refitting them,

Can easily power them up, the tip should glow red hot within 2 seconds

If they take longer or dont glow red replace them, best to replace all of them at same time

not a good idea to double glow the plugs

Why is this? I've heard of it before, but my work truck has just been to the mechanic and we have been told that it has trouble starting because it's lost most of it's compression. (current 240psi, should be 400psi) but they did still recommend doing it.

ive seen glow plugs weld themselves into the head cos they keep double glowing them,they get up to some serious temps.

we have a soldering iron at work made out a glow plug,run off a relay and switch,best soldering iron ever,instant heat

undo the bar that links the glow plugs together and test the resistance with your multi meter, it should only be 3-5 ohms between terminal and earth, if its infinity then your glow plug is buggered, it only takes 1 dodgy plug to make em hard to start