The art of pipe benders etc...?

Seedy Al

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can buy a bike tube kit if you have a ask around. Gives the headset tube and bottom bracket with flanges etc. From memory pipe has a seam and tube does not. Sounds like you used a 'crossbow type bender. As said earlier, you want to be drawing the tube around the die not ramming the die into the tube. I use a Stauff bender or swageloc benders on smaller stuff. I used a dodgy home made jobby for my trutest. Came up nice but required alot of beer and swearing.

newmb6.jpg

From memory pipe has a seam and tube does not.

sorry this is wrong, there are many many many kinda of pipe and tube and either can be seamed or seamless, sprial wound or a multitude of different types of manufacture which wouldn't be obvious.

from the wiki entry on pipe

In common usage the words pipe and tube are usually interchangeable, but in industry and engineering, the terms are uniquely defined. Depending on the applicable standard to which it is manufactured, pipe is generally specified by a nominal diameter with a constant outside diameter (OD) and a schedule that defines the thickness. Tube is most often specified by the OD and wall thickness, but may be specified by any two of OD, inside diameter (ID), and wall thickness. Pipe is generally manufactured to one of several international and national industrial standards.[1] While similar standards exist for specific industry application tubing, tube is often made to custom sizes and a broader range of diameters and tolerances. Many industrial and government standards exist for the production of pipe and tubing. The term "tube" is also commonly applied to non-cylindrical sections, i.e., square or rectangular tubing. In general, "pipe" is the more common term in most of the world, whereas "tube" is more widely used in the United States

so the real answer is definition clusterfuck

in practice as said by several others, alan has acquired a crossbow type pipe bender which would be suitable for steam pipe or possibly thicker rollcage tube. i.e. yeah your farked as far as using it for more than very gentle bends on bike stuff.

I have used one of these on slightly lighter stuff and did not have any issues with doing some fairly tight bends, are you running the seam of the pipe on the outwards radius?

23302.jpg

I used one of these to build my old bobber. Worked great. Just got to make sure you use the correct dies for your tube size. No crushing at all on any of the bends.

bobber016.jpg

Well I intend on making the shift from building cars to bikes too.

The good ones aren't cheap. I'm going to make my own out of square section and only need the dies.

Have considered just making some out of some thick steel plate on a lathe anyway. They're the hard to find expensive part.

I bought a pro tools bender from cardwells for bending roll cage tubing and they are the real deal. but as danger said the dies are what kill the budget, I'm unsure on the prices for the smaller dies for bike size tubing but i payed around the 500 mark for each die needed (2 for roll cages, 1 1/2 and 1 3/4).the bender itself was about the same price. if you are on a budget and have the skills to build quality shit, i'd say buy the dies you need and then build a bender yourself, shit I could even send you plans of mine if you ended up with pro tools stuff. you could try making the dies yousrelf if you have access to a decent lathe but the chunks of steel need are probly worth abit anyway.

Quick google says that you can even use chunks of aly, although I'm not sure if that would be cheaper or not.

Or this might be easy to make from scrap

It's made from built up 1/4" plate steel fastened together with 1/2-inch bolts. I cut each piece out with a band saw and, after assembly, I ground the high edges down with an 4.5" hand grinder. This went surprisingly fast since each "low" side could be used for a guide. Cutting out the plates and grinding them down took about 2 hours from start to finish. For perspective, the ridge on each side is 1/2-inch in width.

2_bender_shoe-001.jpg

Hmm. Could be useful considering how in love with curvy hardtails I am.

If I can find old weights the right thickness I'll lathe them up then they can be cut into two dies.

Wonder how badly they need to be accurately concaved to the pipe?

Been looking at other things like old pulleys and block/tackle etc

ok. All your jobs are to find out where I can buy a decent one of these pipe benders without spending millions of dollars.

i like quality

I plan on building some motor bikes in my time. Might was well fucken buy the damn tool.

I dont know your budget but we use one of these commercially with good results. About $950 list but if you are keen I could look into it further.

http://www.nz.stauff.com/index.php?id=2565&L=1

• 3 weeks later...