Kickers bikes

kicker

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Braking performance was still average but slightly better with new grease so onto the next step in the hunt for brakes.

Big bike = big brake right?

20130621_123022.jpg

Also I'm gonna lower the BB and get some steel pedals, alloy don't spark good

• Like 1

mean. i think if you play around with the sproket sizes you can make coaster work better. ie on my bmx bikes biger rear sproket = faster to engage and lock up wheel easy. Smaller sproket = more gradual engagement and you realy have to stamp on it to get the wheel to lock.

i have done extensive field trials haha

• 2 weeks later...

Got the disc on, I put it on the front to start with as I wouldn't have to deal with chain adjustment with the brake mount if it was on the rear. Not sure if I like it on the front but cbf pissing around putting it on the rear, what say ye?

20130703_105448.jpg

20130703_105426.jpg

• Like 4

Rushed to get it finished for a shine haul on Friday night, I got the caliper mounted, ended up using the old steel brake lines of my 260C as a cable housing because the original stuff was rusted up inside. 

20130707_150933.jpg

Also chucked on something to stash booze in

20130707_150942.jpg

First ride went fairly well but it seemed to play up a bit half way down and I couldn't get it adjusted right, turns out the old pads had sharted themselves.

20130707_151652.jpg

I've chucked in another set I have which are slightly better condition. I might shorten the cable tube a bit and I also need to change the lever as the current one doesn't have as much leverage. 

• Like 2

I wonder if the actual lineal speed of the rotor passing between the pads on braking is just causing the pads to disintegrate?

An 8" rotor would have around 24" of rotor "length" per revolution where as that rotor would be what, 24" of diameter? so pretty close to 72" of rotor length per revolution - that's 3 times as much!!!

When you think about the thickness of the pads and the amount of heat that could be transmitted through that pad on a slow dragging brake for the length of somewhere like Brooklyn hill it just sets of alarm bells in my mind.

edit - I'm not a physics surgeon so don't know shit TBH...

• Like 1