Sams '57 Austin A35

nzstato

I would go with a more modern engine.

I knew this would come up. I would save myself alot of hassle if I just swapped it in for a 4age or something. But the holden 6 is one of the few things I'm sticking to with this project, want to keep the powerplant oldschool as well.

What does the viva front end look like? Is it a macpherson strut set up? Steering via box and drag link?

Hoping this project to be done to a slightly higher standard than the HQ. I have access to sheet metal gear so it will have new sills/door skins all made from a flat sheet.

I knew this would come up. I would save myself alot of hassle if I just swapped it in for a 4age or something. But the holden 6 is one of the few things I'm sticking to with this project, want to keep the powerplant oldschool as well.

What does the viva front end look like? Is it a macpherson strut set up? Steering via box and drag link?

Hoping this project to be done to a slightly higher standard than the HQ. I have access to sheet metal gear so it will have new sills/door skins all made from a flat sheet.

Oldschool big motor worked into a little car is always going to be win.

Viva front end is coil sprung, double wishbone and rack and pinion, also narrow and designed to bolt up to a similar monocoque

body as yours so instant win.

Oldschool big motor worked into a little car is always going to be win.

Viva front end is coil sprung, double wishbone and rack and pinion, also narrow and designed to bolt up to a similar monocoque

body as yours so instant win.

This does sound like a win, I'll have to see if I can track down a parts car. The width issue was always a concern, once I get some decent rims on it the diff is only going to be a bit over 1m wide.

The A35 has such a narrow track?

I have a mazda 1200 ute chassis and steering etc if thats any use. skinny as it gets but standard front drum. can make other brakes fit the stub easily enough though

Hmm, that is something I had not considered. May have to rock round with the tape measure one day and see if it's a goer.

• 1 year later...

Sell the HQ????? Are you mad????? Please tell me you have another HQ lying around and that you will never sell the stato!!!!

Nope, not mad.  I could count on one hand the amount of times I have used it in the last 2 years.....  Wrong type of car at this point in my life.  I've had one or two people come take a look at it already but no bites so far.  I've got enough contacts that I could get back into an HQ relatively cheaply further down the line.... 

That being said I wouldnt say no to a swap with an LJ 2 door project....

Though it reminds me I should update the thread.....