Sams '57 Austin A35

nzstato

I've decided I've stalked this forum for far too long so it's about time I actually contribute. With out properly introducing myself consider this is.

I've bought this...

IMG_2777-1.jpg

I have these...

DSCF2947.jpg

And I've always liked this....

AustinA301.jpg

Anyone see where I am going with this?

So I now have it at home (well it's already been there a few months) and have stripped all I don't need off of it to be sold and will getting the shell blasted and 2k epoxy. Shell has a s**t load of rust, but that is something I am used to....

These are my thoughts

202/3.3 Holden with triple carbs, Yella Terra Head and all the fruit (part way to getting all of the bits)

4 spd (have 2, will make one good one out of the pair)

4 link rear end with shortened (very short) BW diff

The front end has me a little stumped, needs to be built from scratch. Will probably aftermarket double wishbones and a steering assembly from I don't know what. Its going to need a cross member (they never had them) so could possibly go to a rack if I can get the geometry right.

As much cage as I can run on the street

Interior will be completely custom, will deal with it closer to the time

Thinking exterior will be more like this..

IMG_1018.jpg

Don't really want to flare it and colour wise it will be some sort of 'gun metal grey'.

Abuse/spam here

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32075

Also have just completed a pretty full on resto on an HQ statesman, thread is on the NZ forum (and a few Oz ones) but can make a thread for that too if someone really wants it.

So here's how it resides at the moment

DSCF6858.jpg

And here's how bad it is, both sills are gone

DSCF6854.jpg

So are the rear guards, I'll also delete the seem that joins the panels when I fix this (oh as well as lip the guards and tub it out a bit more)

DSCF6855.jpg

From what I gather this is a typical place for these things to rust, plus it is compounded by a disgustingly bad repair

DSCF6857.jpg

Drivers door skin is also rusty and covered in bog, I'll remake this from scratch.

DSCF6856.jpg

You can see how tiny the engine bay is, only measures 35 cm at the narrowest part of the tunnel. I may also have to recess the radiator into the support panel so the block doesnt sit too far back. At least in my mind I can redo the suspension mounts for a double A arm with coilovers unless I can get an easier way out (i.e. a Viva has been suggested)

DSCF6853.jpg

• 1 year later...

Ok so I had sort of forgot I started this thread....

To cut a long story short the yellow/brown thing ended up going to the great scrapheap in the sky (though not before I sold all of the parts and cut out the good metal I needed) and I brought another one with alot more rust but would require less 'cosmetic' repairs, plus I'm gonna hack the crap out of this anyway...

Like I said, I bought another one, this time from Dunsandel.  This had the old plates/tags so will be slightly easier to get back on the road.  I't was probably a pretty good shell when it was put out to pasture (last rego in 96) but some smarty decided to smash all of the windows and the floor rotted out.  Didnt cost me much though.

600135_3933572511278_2133706538_n_zps608

This was over a year ago so I've been spending a bit of time collecting some parts....

This is the 'New Old Stock' wall - I have 1/4s for both sides, passenger door (still looking for a decent drivers), mid panel, bonnet, plus a HQ sill and an HK/T/G sill I am currently trying to sell.

IMG_4551_zps7b4f6aaa.jpg

I also came to my senses and realised a 202 holden is going to be a massive headache to shoehorn into this thing and so recently I purchased this redtop off xsspeed (chur).  Wil rebuild it with some 'go fast' goodies and use twin 45 webers for induction (cos they are awesome)

IMG_4561_zps99d516c3.jpg

Was mucking around in the garage so this is what it looks like currently

IMG_4554_zps38e991d2.jpg

Have been conviced that a Viva front end would be a good idea (and I agree) so it shouldnt be too much of an issue once I narrow the crossmember. 

da663960-51f0-4630-9a08-e7cb9f922d17_zps

As I said its pretty fintstone styles at the moment, not to worry as I am completely making a new floor, will also tie in the front and rear suspension with stiffeners.

IMG_4557_zps2dfcac48.jpg

Am keen to get stuck into this project but really need to sell my HQ to free up some space.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Here's what the people want, I give you an HC Viva Magnum subframe.  Taken from a very nice man in invercargill who has a whole lot of cars (otherwise known as a wrecker).  Yea it needs a complete refurb but at least it is complete, plus it didnt cost moonbeams.

IMG_4569_zpsb99a1270.jpg

Now what's this?  Could this be the start of ANOTHER project for Sam?  I think so.... stay tuned.....

IMG_4568_zps6fa5d3a7.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not a hell of alot is happening, really waiting to get my HQ sold so I cam move onto this.  Have baremetalled the roof with paintstripper and sandpaper (which gave some surprises) and have the shell sitting on a dolly.  Have braced the shell since the floors/sills are close to non existant.  The dolly is constructed with dimensions such that when I remake the sills I can cut the dolly off where it is currently welded and have the shell sit on it on the sills, that way I can make the floors/bracing etc...

photo1_zps0f21ea52.jpg

photo3_zps00e8fef6.jpg

photo2_zps48a4eaad.jpg

Least this way I can roll it into the corner of the shed while I work on other stuff.

• Like 4