Sams '57 Austin A35

nzstato

I think you should keep the standard front suspension if you are going 4age. The standard setup is decent for a car of its age and can be made to work pretty well. It is the same basic setup as A40 Farina, MG midget, Austin Healey Sprite etc. The ticket would be some Midget discs/uprights and recondition everything, poly bushes, race springs, negative camber top trunions and get the lever arm dampers revalved and re-oiled. Oh and fit a front ARB too. Its what ^ that will be running. 

I reckon a crossmember swap would be a bit of a mission to do elegantly too, it's all thin section/no chassis rails. Most of the strength in the structure comes from the firewall. The monocoque on these was designed by an aeronautical engineer and he got on a bit of a pine. 

It would be wise to stay with the current front setup if I already had a running/driving vehicle.  This is a cot case, the entire front floors (which the front frames rely on) are rotted away all and these have also been known to suffer with chassis twisting during hard cornering due to a lack of front crossmember. 

I will be cutting out the original frame rails and making my own from box section, this will allow me to set a reasonable A arm mount height as there is essentially no room for spring travel at these heights ^.  Likewise I also get R&P steering with the viva and a steering column which wont impale me if I have a head on....

Will also continue the frame rails to the rear suspension points.

So yea, fine to keep it all if I am just swapping the engine.  Not if I want to build something a bit more extreme.

PS.  I love that ^ think it sold for $60k at auction a wee while ago.  Will be following some cues (filler on rear 1/4, leather bonnet straps) but really want to prevent having to flair the back guards, even if I want to run 8" rims.

• 1 month later...