Charge light keeps staying on?

WhangareiKE70

Hi guys,

My charge light keeps staying on in my KE70.

As I drove it home the other night, I noticed that my charge light was on. I immediately checked my alternator belt was on and tight, and it was, so all good there. When I indicated/braked however, the stereo would turn off, the car would keep running however. I think this may have been because of the draw the lights had on the battery.

The closer I got to home (it's about 20km to my house) the more my lights and dash lights dimmed. When I got it home we sat it in the garage and checked the voltage across the bnattery terminals, and it was always 12v+ when running.

I wasn't quite sure what was wrong, but I had a spare alternator at home which was good so swapped that in. Now everything is fine, no losing power in my lights and indicating/braking doesn't do anything. So not exactly suer what was/is wrong but it seems to have fixed it.

HOWEVER. I now have my charge light on the dash light on permanently, even though all other symptoms/problems seem to have dissapeared.

Any ideas? I checked all my fuses and none seem to be blown. Is there a relay somewher that I should check, and how do you check relays?

Anyway, that's my essay done. I have tried to provide heaps of detail to make isolating the problem easier, but please ask if you want to know anything else, or want me to check something.

Let me know what suggestions you have as to what might be the problem.

Cheers,

Hayden. :)

yup yup , check batt voltage when everything is off and engine is not running , then flick on your lights and turn motor on . check the voltage , as said above it should between 13.8-14.4vish

i have also come across the problem where the voltage regulator refuses to tell the light to turn off as zep siad

my daily (st171 corona) has had the battery light on for about 18 months since the battery terminals got shorted (was being driven by previous owners gf), i got car to town and put my spare cressida alternator on. Charges at 14.3v and havn't had a problem but the light has been on since

how many terminals does the alternator have? Check you have a good connection to the light wiring, there may be a breakdown causing low voltage on one side allowing the light to stay on - normally it requires voltage on both sides of the light to turn it off, assuming that the field is running through the light.

I would recheck the charge rate with the multimeter on the battery terminals rather than on the alternator pins - it definitely sounds like the alternator isn't charging OR the battery has very much shit itself and is short circuiting..

Everything was checked from the battery terminals. Will re-check again tomorrow, and give an update. Car is running sweet, but light is still on. I have been driving this almost every day since the problem has come up.

• 2 months later...