Ling's Silver Grand Father ---- Plan B (NOT a SPAM THREAD)

LingLing

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you mean rattling?

Is the brake pedal shuddering under your foot? or is the whole car shacking? Is it pulling the steering one way or the other while you brake?

the steering wheel shakes , hence you can say the whole car is shaking. I have to hold it hard.

doesn't go one way.

hmmm. funny that I only noticed it after changing the wheels and new tyres in the front one second hand in the rear. difference size front and rear tho.

didn't notice it while I had the other set of wheels on.

anyways, I will get it sorted easy.

also, I really really need to fully secure the exhaust...will get around that...

If it didnt start till after you fitted the wheels, I would say its an unballanced wheel, BUT you should notice that shaking all the time?

If the brake pedal is not shaking/wobbling under your foot, its more likely its the wheels rather than the brakes.

the car does shake when I pick up speed, again, this could be the shit track, but city driving is fine.

I will get to it and report to you guys in next few days.

Andy - the grease will come out after a few hot laps. The best solution is to add more grease after the day (just poke some over the nut and leave a little extra in the cap).

It's also very easy to warp discs in old toyotas. Over-tightening the wheel nuts makes them warp easier and you're much more likely to warp them when driving an unfamilliar car.

If the ride is crap, I'd say look into getting decent shocks. Usually a bumpy/rattly ride is due to the spring overpowering the shock, as well as things like worn bushes. If you were to find a set of TRD springs and shocks it would most likely ride and handle very well - and wouldn't need a cert.

Are you coming to Oldschool trackday? If you do I'll take it for a drive and give you an idea of what it's like, then you can come for a ride in my 86 if you want? I'm sure slacker.cam would be keen for the same deal too.

I run a custom bilstein coilover setup in the front and custom Koni's in the rear. Springs rates are 550lb (9.8kg) front and 280lb (5kg) rear wit a standard rear swaybar and bigger adjustable front bar.

But my car also has custom front arms with rose joints all round as well as an even-length 4-link in the rear and a roll cage to stiffen it up - different ballgame really.

From what I've seen the BC coilovers work well for the price - although the springs are too hard for a basic car IMO. But then again, my dads "standard" 86 road car has normal KYB shocks and B&G springs and it handles pretty bloody well too. It depends what you want out of the car.

If it's meant for mostly track work, go coilover. If it's for the road and cruising, go with good shocks and standard style springs (TRD). If you want a top-notch shock setup, go and see Anthony at Bilstein motorsport or the boys at Autolign and ask what they can do in the way of Bilstein shocks for the 86. They will make a huge difference and outperform a BC shock by far.

Man, that's hardcore. I would like to do that but yeh my car is pretty much road car only max once per month track day.

so I will probably go with the cheapest option, trd racing set all the way or .... bcs, I still can't make my mind at the moment.

my rear is trd shocks 8 way adjustable, the front are standarded shocks, but the bumpy ride seems come from the rear.

the springs are bit mystery really.. front is Dobi or Bestex or some brand, I hear they're ok.

The rear springs could be trd or standard and could be cut or not.