Ling's Silver Grand Father ---- Plan B (NOT a SPAM THREAD)

LingLing

• Replies 822
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt you will find a generic one that will work from those places. To fit well you will want to custom make something, I have seen 4age specific ones on ebay. Google and I bet you will find a multitude of advise on the likes of club4ag etc

Actually didnt some MR2's have a heatshield from the factory? dunno if your dizzy will have the mounting holes, but get one of those

I thought all the 16v 4ages had them?

Na I've had them without, they dont have the mounting holes for them either. Just find a factory one that has a shield and swap the whole dizzy? wrap the existing one with tinfoil?

Those shitty red replacement caps melt more than the factory black ones

Right, I will try to buy a haynes manual I guess. Would really want to get a toyota geniunie tho.

But anyways, I can just adjust the timing back to 15 ish would be running fine.

also, going to get a heat sheild for my dizzy cap, I am assuming supercheap, bnt, repco have them?

Andy I have four different manuals for my car. All are the same as my haynes one. Get the haynes one, it covers err thing.

Andy, maybe you could find a TRD manual for your car?

Seriously though, Haynes dont do a manual for ae86s. Just download the scanned Toyota manual like the rest of the internet does and be happy. Sure it has a few missing pages and some of them are out of order but 98% of the important stuff is there.

Also, I can't reiterate what KK said enough. I think with your skills and the amount of work that you're trying to do yourself that you're asking for trouble. You clearly have NO IDEA. I hate to see what was a once tidy car being ruined with melted dizzy caps, not enough bolts in the exhaust manifold, broken seals, scratched lights, etc, etc. I think it's great that you want to learn how to do all this stuff to your car but you need someone to show you how to do things correctly. Otherwise you will end up hurting yourself or your car. I'm genuinely worried about the state that you left the panda one in when you sold it. The thought of you bleeding brakes scares the shit out of me. The new owner could have a major crash and it would find its way back to you eventually. I hope you listen to what we are all saying. We have your best interests at heart (and the cars).

Don't bother with a manual if you will use it to work on your car - its like reading a book on how to build a house then actually building a house..

I've tried following a workshop manual to the letter just as an experiment and they leave things out that make a huge difference as they assume you have some mechanical experience.. For instance the book will tell you to "bleed brakes" but they WONT tell you HOW to bleed brakes properly... The difference between a proper bleed and pumping the pedal till fluid comes out can be the difference between life and death.

I'm not hating Andy but seriously you have next to no mechanical experience and you will damage more than you fix.

This is in your best interests - learn how to work on a cheap car with some guidance before you fuck a decent car or worse, kill yourself.

Right, After going thru all the trouble and money, I think made the car much worse than Facotry.

Anyway, I got the Exhaust properly mounted at Pit Stop today, Glad I didn't attempt to do all the cuting and welding and bending.

I Now started to Enjoyto sit in the chair having coffee and watching the pros thru the window doing work on my car HAHA.

Ohkkkk.

Now, I have sucessfully set the timing.

Short circuted the engine light while setting the timing around 10 degree. after I took the Jump wire out, the engine idels around 15 degree.

Anyhow, The real reason my car misses firing is because there is a hole in the distributor cap and leaks electricity.

Ordered geniune one from toyota at very reasonable price again.