4k running rough-missing

DangerousPerson

I've been having some issues with my KE70 for a while with it missing. Does so when idling and driving and causes it to jerk and judder. Is worse when cold but also plays up a bit once it's up to normal running temp. I have just had the dizzy recond' and new points and timing set on Friday (ran fine for about twenty minutes after which was just long enough for the garage to close and it won't be open til Tuesday). Advancing the timing makes it a wee bit better but still not great. Occasionally it stalls when idling too. Is this likely to be a problem with the coil/dizzy/plugs etc or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

What test can I do to establish the cause of the problem?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably suspect the points, I've had engines that just eat them for no apparent reason - often quite soon after installation, try resetting the gap and see if it improves

Otherwise sounds like it could be water in the fuel

A work mate suggested putting half a cup of meths in my fuel to draw out any water that may be in the system. Anyone tried or can recommend for or against doing this? Just had a look at the points and they're not looking too bad but have signs of wear. Last ones had worn unevenly and Were almost gone in two months. What could be causing it?

Just had a look at the points and they're not looking too bad but have signs of wear. Last ones had worn unevenly and Were almost gone in two months. What could be causing it?

worn cam lobes on the distributor or a bent distributor shaft, how reconditioned was the dizzy?

Will ask mechanic on Tuesday exactly what he did.

The new points he put in on Friday are wearing the same as my old points that were in before he recond' it so I'm thinking maybe the shaft is bent and he didn't pick up on it?

Would an electronic ignition be all good even if the shaft is bent as a quicker upgrade and fix if this is the problem?

Would replacing plugs/leads/rotor/cap be any use as they all look fairly new (I haven't replaced them since buying 8 months ago)?

Anyone know clearances for 4k? Really need a flamin' manual for this car.

8 and 10 thou and it will be happy. what sort of judder/rough running is it doing? these things are brutally simple to work on ,but just as easy to fuck up cos there is stuff to adjust, and when there is stuff to adjust people will do it.

do it hot, your telling me when its doing it but not what sort of miss/judder it is, is it dropping a cylinder,or two? does it shake like fuck or is it just a wee miss sorta thing? the beauty of these things is its so cheap to go right thru and do a set of points/plugs/leads/timing/air and fuel filters/set tappets etc. then you have eliminated all the cheap bits, has it done it ever since you owned it or is it a recent issue?

It did do it very occasionally and subtly from a few weeks after I bought it. When it misses it is in wee clusters almost and the whole car judders so you are moved in your seat. Feels almost like it's lost power for a split second then regains. Am getting a coil to start and will work my way through all the replacement bits to eliminate them one by one.

It did do it very occasionally and subtly from a few weeks after I bought it. When it misses it is in wee clusters almost and the whole car judders so you are moved in your seat. Feels almost like it's lost power for a split second then regains. Am getting a coil to start and will work my way through all the replacement bits to eliminate them one by one.

that would be the go. you can test the leads with an ohm meter but for the cost of them i usually just replace them. sorta sounds like its dropping a cyl or two maybe? so going thru all the consumables will be a very good start. perhaps drain the carb too, there is a nut on the front of the carb bowl, take it out and flush some fuel thru .

Went back to mechanic and he lubed it up and re-set the gap on points and it's running a lot better but still not 100%.

Am going to replace coil and see if that helps as the one that's in is extremely hot when running and I'm running out of ideas.

This points me in the direction that you have a 7v coil and no balast resistor. Check and see if this is indeed the case, it should say on it. If it is then the coil could be overheating and causing the problems.

Does the miss happen straight from cold? or does it only occur once the motor has been running for a while?